VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 mk3 Jettas. 2 run one is a parts car. The one radio is in constant safe mode have left it on for 3 hours a number of times so that we can reset the code but it always remains in safe mode and can not be reset. So thought 2 was remove the radio from the parts jetta. I know that when the radio code is requested from the dealership they require the vin number and the serial number of the radio. Is this so that they can determine not stolen or with the computer does the vin and radio need to be matched for that specific car.
Let me know any thoughts.
:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
no good solution

I had the same problem and i believe you need the vin and radio serial number because the radio only works with the car it came with. when i bought my 97 jetta my radio didnt work and my code didnt work because i believe whoever had the car before me tried getting another VW radio. you may need to get an aftermarket radio. but be warned it is costly because you will likely need a wiring harness and an antenna adapter because VW radios antenna jack is smaller than what fits into standard american radios.
I also had to splice into the constant power because inside VW radios is a device that reads power for acc. So after wiring i still have to turn off the radio myself (turning the key doesnt turn it off because VW radios are weird)

·
Registered
43 Posts
ya that radio is only mean to work with that car....when i bought my 98 jetta the guy gave me the stock radio with it saying that i would need it if i was going to hook it up to a computer to read codes, which ended up being complete bull shit, in reality the only thing that made the computer able to read codes was to have all the radio's weather it was stock or aftermarket removed completly, dunno why, ne ways that radio is only meant to work with that car so there is not going to be ne switching that will work, get and aftermarket one, i mean u can get them really cheap ne ways so save ur self the hastle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts