VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ahve a 1998 golf with an aftermarket Kenwood radio. This makes it impossible to read the codes to shut check engine light off. Im told there is a k wire that needs to be connected to make the computer be able to be read. Anyone heard of that? I put stock radio from a 95 Jetta in and still can't read codes. Help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
read codes? i've never heard of reading codes through a stock radio...
the only thing like that I know of is turning the car to the on position, putting the gas pedal to the ground, turning the car off with the pedal still down, and turning it back to the on position and letting go of the gas, then starting it...that just gives you digitach and realtime gas tank levels...
Other than that, besides some other trick, you can only read codes via a pc with the vag software...correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VeeRSicks:
as for the kenwood...i hope you bought an extended warrenty plan on it...cause I only had troubles with mine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got an excelon 959 and the only problem I got with mine is me dropping the faceplate, therefore cracking the lcd.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've had 3 bad Kenwoods, #1-radio only worked on am, #2-quit working all together, #3- cd's skipped bad (didn't even have to be moving). Bought an Alpine, AWESOME! Somehow I'm back to another Kenwood though and it's also an excelon and I've got no complaints about that one. 1 out of 4 ain't bad is it?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Someone is just a duche bag. You read codes with a vag-com plugged into the port under the plastic next to the ashtray. Dont even bother with the CEL what mk3 doesnt have one on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts