VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I wanted to know if the 1989-1990 Rallye Golf could legally be brought to the U.S. through a different country. Is it easy and afforable or is it like The Skyline GTR of the Euro Scene (It's all about the money
). Thanks Everyone!

[ March 10, 2004: Message edited by: MKIIvr6 ]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
It can and has been done. I think I read somewhere that the cost would be close to $70k to find one first of all, then to get it to DOT specs...
Pete your not getting a skyline...lol if your importing anything, try an Rs4

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dakoda, dont you think $70,000 is a little exaggeration? Theres one in Canada for sale with 93,000 KM (about 60,000 miles) for $24,000. Its also Street legal in Canada and apparently they are abundant there. I will post up a link when I go home (after school) if you want.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I thought they only made 5000 world wide. Doesn't sound like it would be abundant anywhere. I would contact your federal agencies about what wouold be necessary to make it DOT approved, and then work back from there.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rallye Golf for sale

I found a different one with 73,000 miles.

$17,500 dollars and street legal in Canada.

They aren't abundant but there are a nice amount of them there.

[ March 11, 2004: Message edited by: MKIIvr6 ]

[ March 11, 2004: Message edited by: MKIIvr6 ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by das boot:
Pulse Weekly Article Some kid in the area JUST GOT ONE!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn. lucky bastard!!! You would think that some company would make a ralley wide body kit-look a like ralley golf panels...I would def get them if they were available, and if I had a mk2.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I said that is what I read somewhere. I did not say it was true. For one in good condition and DOT approved 70k wouldn't seem to high. The older they get and the more that are taken off the roads the more expensive they will become...

Also I don't think Canada has the same standards/laws we do, but I may be wrong

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The canadian standards are based on the U.S. ones except maybe for some minor differences.
All you really need to do is the DOT/EPA and Registration for U.S. (Paperwork).

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
and meet all the DOT standards if the car does not already like Headlight Height, foglight distance, sidemarker placement, reflectors, gas caps, emissions...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by das boot:
Pulse Weekly Article Some kid in the area JUST GOT ONE!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

man... i cant help but think if this was metallic grey..... it would look exactly like the pvw project ralley golf

but its missing the mono-wiper

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MKIIvr6:
Hey guys,

I wanted to know if the 1989-1990 Rallye Golf could legally be brought to the U.S. through a different country. Is it easy and afforable or is it like The Skyline GTR of the Euro Scene (It's all about the money
). Thanks Everyone!

[ March 10, 2004: Message edited by: MKIIvr6 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think u have gone thru a list of about 20 of different cars u want, make up ur mind!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm pretty sure the one in Canada is the one that Kinetic had at Waterwagens. Pretty nice car, it's dead stock, runs 15s in the quarter. They've been trying to sell it for a while because it's still just a MK2 and there's no way it's really worth $17k.

There's about 20 of them in the US right now, I know a guy with one. They sell for about $8000US in the UK.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts