VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raced a 2001 ZX3 Ford focus. Now he does have a cold air, he does have his factory all season wheels. Empty gas tank, no system, and just him in the car.
In the other line it was me, full tank, no engine modifications except HKS BOV, trunk filled with a 12' bandpass box with speakers which is about 120 pounds, I had a friend with me, I also had a lot of other junk in the trunk. But I DID beat him and not once, not twice, but 3 times
. Now I have a question. Because he beats me going off the line, but i catch up in 2nd very quickly, which is good and all. But im curious why cant i beat him going off the line? i tried with turning the ASR off and on. Same thing

- ???? --Anyoone know the reason???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,658 Posts
Now what year is your car? Part of it might be the small turbo lag. It also could be just the way you launch. What RPM are you at when you launch??
jon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,465 Posts
could be what anybody said above but it is most likely your take off. practice the your take off and you should be set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
It's your driving. I have pulled on multiple stock 4.6L stangs at the track off the line, and they are most powerful on the bottom end too. You should be staging at about 2500 rpms and then feathering the cluth out till about 5000 rpms. You should also be gradually feeding more throttle into it and not completely at WOT till about 5000 rpms when you are completely off the clutch. You should be off the clutch just in time to bang second gear. Practice this and get it down so you don't bog and don't just sit there and wheel hop and you won't get pulled on anymore by another focus, I guarantee it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i got a 2002 1.8 t.
Its prolly not the turbo, its jsut that either it will peel out or it will turn on that shitty asr i think i started at about 2500-3000 rpm, im not quite sure.and i kidna feel sorry 4 my car when i pop the clutch but what can I do i cant stand a guy with a focus telling stories of how im too chicken to race him, you all know what i mean.


thanx 4 the responses guys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slaven GTI:
yeah i got a 2002 1.8 t.
Its prolly not the turbo, its jsut that either it will peel out or it will turn on that shitty asr i think i started at about 2500-3000 rpm, im not quite sure.and i kidna feel sorry 4 my car when i pop the clutch but what can I do i cant stand a guy with a focus telling stories of how im too chicken to race him, you all know what i mean.


thanx 4 the responses guys
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

keep practicing you wilkl learn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
I would say your driving skills are probably the biggest thing. Turbo lag.. maybe a little bit..all that extra weight big difference I know a 1.8t is about 2,900 lbs which is heavy to begin with no idea what a focus weight is. But a full tank of gas, a system, and a friend you probably have close to 400 more lbs in the car. (I'm not trying to say your friend is fat or anthing)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,559 Posts
congrats on the victory...driving skills and launching make a big difference...two of my pals staged a little fun race at a light, not going balls to the wall cause the next one was red....a civic h/b with an intake exhaust and a chip, and a 97 2.0L Jetta with a K&N....bottom line the honda should have been quicker off the line (lighter, more engine mods), yet the dub drivers launching skills earned him the mini victory (thank god for vws!)....so just work on it brah, youll nail it soon and smoke people off the lines....good luck

[ November 29, 2003: Message edited by: gotmilfMK3 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I'm not trying to say your friend is fat or anthing)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
i have a 1.8t gti also..here is a good story.....driving up to bloomsburg last night a yellow focus comes up and starts messing with me from a roll. me and my buddy start laughing i mean its a yellow focus,white rims loud exhaust and stickers....you guys know what i mean... so we get a light but he gets stuck behind a truck so when it turns green i take off slow stay in first gear until he gets beside of me i hear him floor it so i floor it in return, i break lose, he didnt, so i shift into second kinda slow and break lose again and he still couldnt get a car length on me,or break lose, so my friend and i start laughing again because its pretty sad when a car cant break lose from a roll when the roads are wet and icy from all the snow we got.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
It's your driving. I have pulled on multiple stock 4.6L stangs at the track off the line, and they are most powerful on the bottom end too. You should be staging at about 2500 rpms and then feathering the cluth out till about 5000 rpms. You should also be gradually feeding more throttle into it and not completely at WOT till about 5000 rpms when you are completely off the clutch. You should be off the clutch just in time to bang second gear. Practice this and get it down so you don't bog and don't just sit there and wheel hop and you won't get pulled on anymore by another focus, I guarantee it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like Jettas but i know that they must have been GT's and not cobras.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 04CobraSVTbw:
I like Jettas but i know that they must have been GT's and not cobras.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the forum and you will be happy with ur 24v vr6 jetta


Ur an domestic guy...you ever been beaten by a dub?

[ December 10, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top