VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Jetta 2.5L, 6sp Auto, stock.

I have once, while driving in heavy rain on the interstate experienced this condition where there is no throttle response. I could push the pedal to the floor, and nothing at all. This was on a long drive from Tennessee to Texas, and only occurred for a brief, but tense few moments.

It is my wife's daily driver, and she has claimed to experienced this same condition at random.

Is this a common or known issue? If so is there a known DIY solution?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Were you getting a flashing CEL or traction control light?
Usually this is an ignition issue.

What happens is the insulation in the wires and components for the ignition system breaks down/breaks/cracks/etc over time and moisture can find its way into the part.
Once that happens that part will start to arc and not have sufficient power to complete the spark.
It usually wont happen unless there's a lot of water outside to make its way there.

If it doesn't happen often or for long you still have some life in the parts, but not much more. It's a slippery slope.
To test them you can have the car running, hood open and take a regular spray bottle with just water on it, mist it onto the coil pack and spark plug wires. If you hear the motor change tone/frequency because of misfiring you found the problem. If it doesn't these parts are most likely fine.

Since it was so short it may not have saved a code for it since other things can happen like bad fuel but it doesn't hurt to check anyway.

It could also be something else, but since it only happened once briefly then who knows what it is. maybe your car got bored and wanted to yank your chain on that long trip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If the throttle in this car is a potentiometer that controls the engine speed electronically then you might need contact cleaner or a new throttle module. If goosing the throttle a few times restores function I'd say this is likely.

Since you possibly you can't reasonably replicate the fault and if there are only two or three causes for this symptom, all equally likely, then I'd go with the cheapest option. How much for a throttle module or an aftermarket set of ignition wires?

VW may have a Technical Service Bulletin out on this problem. It could be a safety defect so the Center for Auto Safety may have some info on this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Throttle issue

Hi guys, seems you are getting water in one of the connectors controlling the engine throttle or air mass sensor.
if the throttle pedal or throttle body on the intake at fault, the EPC light comes on and put the engine in "limp" mode (rev do not go higher than 2500rpm very slowy). if it happens, pull over, see if you can read the fault associated with it. unplug battery for 15 minutes or so to reset all faults. replug, read the OBD again and clear if needed. The engine should respond as usual . It takes a few hundreds miles for the Electronic module to recreate the condition and spit the fault again. That gives you enough time to get home.
:p
i had that condition several times , I replaced the most obvious pedal on the floor, but it came back after 3000 miles, so I ordered a throttle body . been fine since and running strong at 188,000 miles!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I have very similar fault with my car. I am novice when it comes to cars and just bought an old VW Passat (2001, TDI, 96kw, 300tkm). I brought my car to car wash for the first time and after that, gas pedal didn't respond. Power came off and on totally by random! After few days it's better, almost normal? power a little lost, but power is constant. I took my car to the workshop, read the fault code and it gave VAF fault? We reset the system and drove it a bit and read the code again, and no fault code. I just ordered a new VAF, will see if it helps? Next change the ignition wires? throttle body? Can anybody help?

Did you find and fixed the problem SixStringMadness?

Best regards
Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts