VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well. I'm making this, kinda as a way to self motivate..
Yes, we need more posts on here so that's another reason.
But, I guess with this it will force me to do things and make progress.. ..hopefully..

so here's my first golf..

never really changed in the 8 months I owned it, put on 30k mostly because of all my gigs in bands and such, which also hindered my building. Not to mention the fact that I was always fixing stuff on it. thing bled me dry. But I DID love that car. even though it had flames, it definitely looked different. I really liked the colors and the wheels. I miss boosting. But on to new things.

So here's the new guy. 01 VR6 GLX

This was the day I brought it home. 2 miles after filling up I was forced onto the shoulder when a piece of carpet fell out of the back of a truck I was 2 cars behind. no pan damage but I did scratch the valance, and lost the sidemarker which wasnt too bad but still made me quite mad, it can somewhat be seen here.

Plans are in order. First things first, removing the suitcase, not sure if going to replace it with just pipe or a muffler.

Then comes paint. some wierd minor corrosion going on in corners of the door sill. and the dent on the drivers door. what do you guys think about going badgeless? im not sure on it. I like badgeless but I also like my color matched emblem. its different.

"Timing chains were done" 10k ago. he said. IDK. I hear noises. Think im going to swap out the upper guide and see what happens.

NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS, im keeping my headlights. I like them.

Then wheels. really a toss up here too. I cant find anything I LIKE. Leaning towards a 5 spoke design Black with a red lip. Not really a chrome guy, never have been, but the clean chrome look does look good on these cars no doubt.

Want to do some minor audio work. He put Kenwood? cant remember for sure in the doors and rear panels. wired for an amp but no setup right now and sounds to me like the speakers he had put in are not 3way very midsy. could probably use some good tweeters and a nice 10 in the back. Probably go memphisaudio. have really been impressed with them in the past.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterday I cleaned up my intake tubing a little, still need to get the bigger piece done better. I also laid my new strut bar in to see how it would look. not bad. but i might want to go chrome tubular. I guess that will come into play when I choose my wheels. if i go black/red then I will keep it. If I go chrome I will get a chrome strut bar too.

Before:

After:

Annnnnd the strut bar

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Post 100

whats a better place than one's own timeline thread for their 100th post! Cheers to that.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
3sdm, vortex classifieds. never know what youll find. you can always get a set that needs some work and then work on them here and there

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I know, it seems to me not many have interest in my thread yet. But for now, I'm gonna keep on posting.
PRAISE GOD. today we got my buddys POS nissan out of my garage finally and I was able to roll the GTI in! :D

Didn't start anything, because I had to then go help another friend with a tie rod on his SRT4 neon.. HE OWES ME NOW.

but later this week I will get to installing the missing clear Sidemarker FINALLY, and fix my led upper sidemarker that the bulb fell out of. (SAME SIDE) noticed it one night I locked my car when I was at a GIG in milwaukee and every crack inbetween fender and plastic etc lit up.. lol guess its better that then a bad wire..

Still dont know if I wanna mount the strut bar or not (or get a chrom tubular type instead), and not sure if I want to change the exhaust or keep it. Let me know your opinions fellas!

it felt so good to sit in the drivers seat and move the car for the first time since early november!!!

little walkaround plus exhaust tone;

had fun shoveling just to be able to roll in! not.. it still scraped.

The new Sidemarkers:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah. Its going to be very roomy in a couple weeks when the buyer picks up my dads 76 trans am thats in the other side.. :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Pick up some c5's!!!! Lol
Or any vette wheels man nice and wide with some stretch I nearly spend 5 bills on used wheels new adapters and new tires...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well today.. today was a good day!
Finally got started.

Well.. It happened. I went to my OE Joey modded lights,.. just for you guys!
was a pain. Had to crack em open and do my best to clean/buff em but still going to need new lenses at some point.

got my new sidemarkers in, went from LED to amber! like it better.
Cleaned up the engine, put on the covers, polished the rest of my intake.
got the wheel spacers set in front. Cleaned the junk out of the lower fenders behind the splash gaurds/inner fender wells/ whatever. and sprayed on some rust reformer.
Ill start with a before and after of the engine bay. (IGNORE THE STRUT BAR)

before:

After:

Lights and sidemarker

what the old owner considered as a safe way to make the tires clear the coilover...

fix:

Typical junk in the fenders (I think there should be a sticky on this)

sprayed:

Intake hose

Yupp:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What do you guys think, the projectors, or the OE modded lights?
I really cant decide but I liked the projectors alot. good clean look I thought. But seems you guys disagree.. let me know!

also thinking on a 20-25mm spacer in the rear for now, until I get wheels in the future.
give me opinions!

thanks.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
spacer in the rear, definitely. just measure from tire to lip to see what would be best.

as for projectors, they are a no no in STOCK headlight housings. theyre blinding and look like ass because the stock housing throws the light everywhere instead of in a clean beam like the correct housing does.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
spacer in the rear, definitely. just measure from tire to lip to see what would be best.

as for projectors, they are a no no in STOCK headlight housings. theyre blinding and look like ass because the stock housing throws the light everywhere instead of in a clean beam like the correct housing does.
no. I mean stock housings or the halo projector housings I had in there. the day i bought my car and posted on here yall said they had to go. but Its only been a day and I want em back.. lol

this is now:

And before:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i like the way it is now. i think you will in time.
I think new lenses will dress it up in the future

they arent as clear as they seem in the pic.

right now im dreading the cost to get the paint fixed here and there.
rear corner of doorjams have minor rust, minor dent in driver door,
and I thought about notch filling..

1 - 20 of 99 Posts