VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-

I love my car, but in terms of reliability it is pathetic.

After failing my emissions inspection, I took it to the dealer. Apparently my catalytic converter is bad (which will be replaced under VW emissions warranty). In addition, my intake manifold has a problem (shift rods are loose) which is causing a tapping noise when the engine revs.

I have an extended warranty through onesource warranty. Onesource will not cover the intake manifold because they classify it as an emissions part. Replacing it will cost $1,100. Does this relate to emissions or not?

Any advice on complaining to VW, or arguing with my warranty company that the manifold is not an emissions part? (I see both as a no-win game)

The car has 73k miles and has been well maintained, but I'm ready to get rid of it.

Advice?

thanks in advance for any help.
Hugh.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I in no way mean for this to sound smart-assed but...

They let people without "VW" on their shirts work on VWs too.

My advice, if you think dealing with your dealer/warranty is a no win situation, then do a little research and find a reputable vw shop. I bet you a shinny nickle that it wont cost you $1,100.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Definately call VW if the dealer doesn't want to honor your warranty...they can get in trouble for that. Its 8 years/80,000 miles for emissions (Catalytic Converter). O2 sensors aren't covered, Secondary Air Injection parts aren't covered...its pretty much just the Cat.

The intake change-over rod does go bad in 12V VR6es, I just changed mine as a matter of fact. The part costs $70 list, and your shop should charge you no more than 2 hours of labor for it, considering I can do it in 15 mins or less. If they charge you any more than 2 hours its a rip off, and go somewhere else to have the change-over rod done. If you are willing to attempt it yourself, there is most likely a walkthrough on how to do it on the VWVortex 12V VR6 Forum FAQ.

Hope this info helps you man, good luck.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
agreed. call around and try to fine a reputable vw mechanic in your area. One guy around me calls around to see if he can get a used part before he goes to order new every time. And he charges a lot less for labor than the stealerships do. best of luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any comments about whether or not the exhaust manifold is an emissions part? Is it?

thanks,
Hugh.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
agreed. call around and try to fine a reputable vw mechanic in your area. One guy around me calls around to see if he can get a used part before he goes to order new every time. And he charges a lot less for labor than the stealerships do. best of luck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Hugh,

Anything connected to polution control is emissions so I would say yes the manifold is. If you want call 1-800-DRIVEVW for assistance about warrinties and your car. They were helpful in the 2 times I had to call them.

Best!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Geez man I feel your pain. I have had the intake manifold replaced twice on my 2000 VW Jetta, the first time non-warranty ($1200) and the second time under warranty. 2 years later after the replacement, I'm starting to hear that noise again. This time I'm saying screw it and will let it go. I've had the worst experience with VW dealers. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
this noise you guys are talking about.....does it do it around 2500-3000 rpm's as you are shifting through the gears and it sounds like a bad valve tap but only at that rpm??????
sorry if that makes no sense but that is the best i could explain it.
The reason i ask is my wife's 01 vr6 jetta just starting making that noise and i had no clue what it could be.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
As stated above, its the intake manifold change over rod, also called the intake shifter rod. It shortens/lengthens the engine's intake tract depending on torque demand and engine speed. When they start to wear out they start making the noise that you are all hearing. I changed mine in less than 10 mins (given that I am a tech, but its still pretty simple, lots of walkthroughs out there for this).

A walkthrough of the replacement of this part can be found here.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts