VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Been awhile since I looked at the kits. You might want to make sure your motor gets a good tune-up before running boost.
On a side note, do you have projected power increase from the kit? Like I said I've been away for awhile so I don't remember what the typical increase is for the VR6.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do you mean by projected power increase. and i wld get a good tune up but the car only has 47k miles on it

·
Registered
828 Posts
what do you mean by projected power increase. and i wld get a good tune up but the car only has 47k miles on it
It's an 03 Even if it has 47k miles on it, it could still be 10 years old, and in need of a tune up. Seals get worn, gaskets wear out. You're gonna have the thing torn apart anyway might as well give it a tune up. I'd check tension of the timing chain, and at least visually inspect the gaskets in the motor.
yeah man, how much more horses is that boost gonna give you?!?!!

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
please.. this is crucial (granted i didnt click your kit link so if this is included disregard me)..

RODS
HEAD GASKET SPACER (to lower compression so no.. ka boooom)
make sure you upgrade fueling / injectors
lower heat range spark plugs
refresh all gaskets in the motor
do the timing chains / guides while your in there.. its already apart.. nows the time.
cam chains / tensioners / guides
check oil pump / oil pick up tube for debris / gunk .. clean accordingly.
replace water pump (again.. in there.. may as well).
downpipe
exhaust
exhaust manifold
upgrade head studs

that should give u a pretty solid base to start with.. look up a member on here.. 24vrt he has a pretty extensive vrt build documented on here. great reference for you.

keep in mind.. the above is pretty crucial.. your taking a natural aspirated motor and converting it to forced induction.. granted.. theyre rocket ships.. but what good is a rocket ship thats a hand grenade with the pin half out.. like you said.. do it right once.. or dont do it.

otherwise.. happy building. ill eat popcorn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds good..thanks alot..will look into it..what are some good rods and pistons then. and wld cams b a good upgrade since im in there to.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
cams are a fantastic upgrade but can be costly.
they can be added at a later date too.. they arent 100% crucial to the build.

integrated engineering makes forged rods and cams for that matter..

theres a few other companies that make rods as well.
last thing you want to do .. is spool up.. and blow a rod out the bottom end or worse.. through the side of the block.. and the whole block of the motor is junk.

rods are crucial. and much cheaper to put in now.. then a rebuild of the already built motor.

as the moto states by pssst passed you.. Buy nice.. or buy twice :)

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
The VRs are strong motors and love boost! I wouldn't put too much worry on the rods but more so the the head spacer with arp studs. You should be good a their est. hp but anything over I would consider a full rebuild.

Anytime people talk about high hp I always let them know make sure it is tuned. Those can tunes like they offer are good for a base but it always nice have a custom tune done by someone who knows what they are doing. C2 motorsports is an awesome company because you make a purchase i highly recommend chatting with them. Measure your a/f ration, keep a boost guage, make sure you don't lean out at wot or kaboom. Also consider a water/meth kit. Water/meth is a safe way to keep your intake temps cool while increasing your octane which means more power. HP=heat and heat kills motors so make sure you are running a little bit better oil and you don't over heat your engine. I have seen bone stock 24vs with head spacers hit over 400hp safely. One of them happens to be a local guy running an hx35 and he sees 437hp and he has been running this set up for 4 years.

Then I have seen other people with built motors grenade them in the high 200s low 300s because they cheaped out on tuning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks for all the help, i know to kit comes with the arp bolt and the head spacer already and a tune by united motorsports, so would that b a good enough tune. and rods are a must but not pistons right? what about new valve springs, valves and hardware., like rebuilding the head, port and polish ect. just wanna do it all while i have it torn apart. anyother good idea while its apart. the only sucky part is i love driving my car and i know this is gonna take awhile to complete, maybe over a year. gonna be a long and tempting project

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if i can get the 415 like the kit says it can get i well be happy with that. and what are all the gaskets i would need. also as far as the timing chain since im already in there would i get the whole kit or just the chain and guides. are the rods a must with 415 or will stock hold it..as far as fuel is there a good kit to by cos i been looking and dont know what to get.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
fueling is basically just injectors / external or upgraded internal fuel pump.. like walbro for example

alot of your parts can be found at pag parts.
google it :)

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
In all honesty I would inspect every before money is dropped. If the motor has low miles like you stated you will probably get away with just the guides.

·
Registered
299 Posts
goodluck man. I heard vrt are fun but I sold my vr6 to go 1.8t for big power. Im getting roughly 400hp with only 3.2k total with labor and software :p I would piece together your kit. I saved tons doing mine through forums like vwvortex.

youll need probably an lsd, rods, head spacer too for compression

Why not go cts? I heard there kits are pretty good?

·
Registered
299 Posts
oh and mentioned above go to pagparts for everything. That dude is awesome and he is gonna be doing custom oil lines and small things for me. Great guy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
ok so been doing alot of looking around, so i wannt know what it everyones thoughts on supercharging it instead..seems different and cost a couple grand less means i could start alot sooner..any pros or cons. and it i did this route would i have to do all the same things i would if i was turboin it?

·
Registered
299 Posts
ok so been doing alot of looking around, so i wannt know what it everyones thoughts on supercharging it instead..seems different and cost a couple grand less means i could start alot sooner..any pros or cons. and it i did this route would i have to do all the same things i would if i was turboin it?
I wouldnt. I drove a sc car for a while and this is why I wouldnt. The whine for a dd is super annoying. Sure sounds cool for a while but t dosent last. Turbo bov,wastegate, etc sound sick. Also sc is limited on power. This is the 4th time im increasing my boost and turbo size for more power. Its very addicting and ya cant do that with sc. Stay turbo!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my thing is i like simpe, and i would also be happy with just around 300hp. plus i would get to start this project months earlier and finish and start on other things like cams or rebuilding the head ect..plus its something different.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts