VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it bad to swap snow/summer tires on and off the same set of rims? What does it do to them? I'm just curious b/c I know it's not a good idea but I don't know why. Thanks!

[ December 26, 2003: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I don't really understand why it would be a problem!?!? As long as they were balanced properly onced swapped, and possibley an a allignment if needed, there should be no issue. I would seriuosly like to know why it would be a problem, cause it doesn't make much sense.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
I don't really understand why it would be a problem!?!? As long as they were balanced properly onced swapped, and possibley an a allignment if needed, there should be no issue. I would seriuosly like to know why it would be a problem, cause it doesn't make much sense.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone (whom I thought would know about such things) mentioned it's not a good thing to do but now I can't remember who said it or why.....

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Interesting, I just did some quick research, and couldn't really find anything major. Just those things mentioned above (allignment/balancing), but nothing catastrophic. I am very curious to hear what you were told, not saying it's wrong, but just for my own knowledge.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
524 Posts
the only thing i can think of is that when the tire's bead(seal) is broken off the rim it is compressed, thus maybe weakening the sidewall of the tire, if you ever see it done just watch. i do it myself and i've always wondered if that was OK for the tires.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I change tires all the time at my bro's shop and I don't think it damages the tire at all. Unless you have someone operating the machine who has no clue or no safety precautions.

The tire pressure is gone at the time when you take the tire off the rim/wheel. Now I've seen some morons forgetting to take out the valve and letting the pressure ease off and then trying to press the pedal on the machine to squeesh the tire in order to make it loose on the rim. Not a good idea if you machine is powerful.

On a weak machine it wouldn't probably even nudge. LOL

[ December 26, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
I change tires all the time at my bro's shop and I don't think it damages the tire at all.

[ December 26, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could it be bad for the rim at all?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yea, I figure the issue would be having to have your tires mounted and balanced twice a year. Its gonna be money and time and inconvenience. But I don't think it will hurt the tires/wheels.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGolfCart:
Should be no problem for the rim or tire, it's just not as convenient as having 2 sets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

after doing all the mounting and trash a lot, you could probly save money getting some winter wheels or something.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
yeah i think its for the convience and cost...

why keep switching between the two when you can have your good rims and a set of steelies for the winter.

better yet, more somewhere like ca of fl where you dont need snow tires...thats what i want to do

1 - 12 of 12 Posts