VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Jetta GLS 2.0

1. My rear brake pads are worn all the way down while my fronts look like they have hardly been used. I have 56000 miles on this Jetta. Brake dust is mostly in the rear. I called VW and they told me to take it into the dealer to get an evaluation and that I have to pay for it intially. I talked to the dealer and they said it was normal for one set to wear faster then the other. Is this normal?
2.Turn signal will not stay on when set for right/left turn. Blinks 1-2times and shuts off in indent posistion. I checked all light bulbs. No fuses blown. Flasher, rear defroster and high beams work since they are somewhat connected together according to the dealership.
3. Check engine light came on. Engine is running normal with no loss in gas mileage. I took it to Auto Zone and had them read it. The computer said it was a "fuel metering" problem. They reset it and it went out. 10 miles later it came back on. Yes, I clicked my gas cap more than 3 times after a fill up(s). Does disconnecting the batt. really get rid of the annoying light?

I take this problem Jetta into the dealership Tues. They want 200 bucks to check out these problems. Is this a "fair" price. Has anyone replaced the turn-signal switch? This is the last new VW I'll ever buy, too many problems (2-3qts of oil per 1000 miles until I hit 40000 miles) and customer service from VW and VW local dealerships sucks. Any help,ideas, and or input will be great appreciated.

Fly/drive safe.

Adam

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
First off, yes; VW's have been having some problems; but then again, it is a VW. Would you give up on your marriage becuase of a few misunderstandings? I don't think so. Whenever those little gremlins get you down, just remember how beautiful your car is...

Now, I might be able to help you with problem 2. My friend had a similiar problem (although in is dodge 600; P.O.S). The problem was a bad relay. basically it is a little box-like device that controls the flashing of the bulbs; it is usually located either in the engine compartment in the fuse box or somewhere under the dash. I would look it up for you, but I haven't got a Bentley manual laying around
. So, this is where hopefully someone who knows where that relay is chimes in...

If it is the relay, and you feel confident doing it, i would suggest that you replace that yourself. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes, and usually the part is way under 10 bucks (my car illiterate friend was even able to do it himself for a little over two bucks...and this is a guy that thought that you could never have enough oil in the engine...
).

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
the brake problem is normal in vws but not its not supposed to be like that. kepp calling vw of america and complaining but for you it might not do anything because you probably dont have a warrenty. vw used crappy pads in the rear thats why they wear faster

and dont compare a car to a marriage

[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: big dub ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
My brakes did the same thing. I switched to ceramic pads in the back, and I hope that will even out the wear on the set.

Does anyone know if a Brake balance controller is available for our cars?

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
My 01 Jetta 1.8T has 30K on it and I had to replace the backs last week, and the front looked like new. Usually it's the other way around front's have 80% of your stopping power. I think another factor is that the front's at 11" and the back are like 8". I have yet to replace the brakes on the GTI but I have a feeling it going to be the same. As I always have more brake dust in the back.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1fstgti:
you guys get brake dust??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't get much at all.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I get brake dust up the ass in my rear pads. But I did put mintex redbox pads which are supposidly "MUCH LESS BRAKE DUST"..less dust my ass, its actually more dust then the OEM pads. Im surprised you made it all the way to 56k miles wihtout swapping out the rear pads.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
my back brake pads and rotors are a little worn down but my fronts are okay. my dad told me way to stop this premature wear but i forgot. i'll get back to you guys on this. oh and my front rotors are like the day i got my car.

[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the kind responses and information. I just ordered a Hanes VW repair manual. I will try to find that relay. I tried the other day, I know its somewhere in the center consule buried. I can hear it clicking. We change relays all the time on our planes. Hopefully it will be that easy. It's nice to hear that I am not the only one noticing brake wear in the rear. I think most cars brake mostly in the front or so I thought except for VW. I like the way my car drives and looks, but its not worth the hassle from the dealership and VW for solving problems. My car needs new tires, anyone have any favorites? I need a tire that is good in wet/snowy weather and will last as long as my originals tires. Once again, thanks for the input.

fly/drive safe,

Adam

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have a jetta with 29k on it and it needs rear pads.(the front are like new). My sister-in-law had a cabrio, she traded it in with 31k on it and they said that her rear pads needed replaced.(again the front pads were like new)

just thought i would put in my 2 cents

·
Registered
60 Posts
Two months ago, my rear pads wore down to the rotors. Ouch! The dealer charged me just over $400 for rotors and pads. Definitely go for aftermarket, at that price!

PS Front pads still great. Brake dust all over the place, too!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I needed new rear pads as well at 28K however that is the only problem i have had with my VW in a year so i hear i should count my blessings......I however have been hearing an odd metal on metal "clinking" if i hit the brakes suddenly or the car hits a severe bump in the road i was wondering what this was???? I am concerned.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Rear pads went at 20k...Had crazy dust at the rear wheels...Changed to EBC green stuff from the tire rack...Very little dust since...Original front pads are still in at 36k and look new

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
VW uses a different compound for some reason for the pads, and that is why they wear faster. I also have redbox pads on mine, and I have gotten about 40k miles out of them and thye are just now close to needing replacement in the rear only. I only got about 22k miles out of the OEM pads. And yes, I seem to get much less brake dust out of the Mintex.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Last Thur I had new rotors and brake pads put on at Monro Muffler/Brake here in Columbus. Total bill was $280 bucks. The Technician said that he had a couple of newer VW's like mine worn in the rear. They made it to only about 40,000 miles and was amazed that I got 57,000 out of them. I guess I got a ok deal, compared to the VW dealership. I also put 4 new tires on. Dunlop Sport A2's. I know they won't last as my Michelin's but I got a good deal on them. Anyone have any expirence on these tires? Next on my to-do list is my turnsignal and check eng. light.................

Good Day, Adam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts