VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

Haven't posted here in a while but I'm in need of some help from this community.

This past weekend a friend and I installed WRD coils on my 2003 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta. Took us a little bit longer than we thought but we got it all done. I lowered it about 3/4 max. I don't want to go max because I want it to be functional and comfortable.

Right away after driving it I noticed a rear clunking sound whenever I go over small bumps. Even on clear highways there is a faint clunk sound. It's especially loud and noticeable while driving slower.

I didn't have the money to get them professionally installed but I'm certain we did a good job as one of us was a mechanic (on Subaru's not VW though).

Do the coils need to settle in still? I know I have to do an alignment as well. Should I raise it higher? This noise is irritating me while I drive and I'm worried about the well being of my car.

Edit: Also wanted to mention that I recently installed new front sway bar bushings and that I bought new rear shock mounts and front strut mounts/bearings with these coils.

Thank you!

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you can pinpoint about where the clunking is coming from, i would take off the back wheel and see if you are rubbing anywhere. After that, just make sure your springs are settled in the right spot and that your back beam bushings are good.

There's more stress on the suspension so it could be showing you a problem that was already developing just not bad enough to notice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My vote is a loose bolt somewhere. I actually dealt with the same thing 2 days ago. Turned out the lower nut for the passenger strut vibrated loose. Retightened it and put some Loctite on there and I was back in business!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts