VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing something?? How do you press the caliper piston back in place to accept new pads? I've done many brake jobs but never rear discs.

Please help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe you have to have a special tool for the rear. autozone rents out tools and i think they have it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To all who care.
Napa sells a special tool for $9.00 that works on most rear disc systems. Veedubs have two little notches in the piston that this tool goes into and using a 3/8 ratchet and an extension, you apply inward force while turning the piston either way depending on what side of the car your working on. The tool has different pins for assorted designs.
Oh BTW, VW ROTORS SUCK!! I'm replacing all four after 71,000 miles. That's ridiculous! That also means all new rear wheel bearings. ARGGGG!

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
DON'T H8 MY '98 VR6 said:
VW ROTORS SUCK!! I'm replacing all four after 71,000 miles
??? Rotor wear and warpage has a lot to do with the driver and the pad material. Some people will make a set of rotors last years, some people go through them with every set of pads. Either way, I'd be pretty excited to get 71K out of a set of rotors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The easyest way i have found to do it, without that special tool. Is to just get a "C" clamp on it and turn it back into place. You might have to use a wrench at some spots but if you just keep turing the clamp it should turn its self back. But make sure you lossen the bleeder nipple if you didnt already think of that. And I dont know if you where planning on reaplacing the fronts, but when I did mine I had to grind down the pads to make them fit. Damn Auto Zone...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts