VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wired up my rear fog in my 2001 GTI, and the light on the switch doesn't change when you turn on the rear fog??

The light in the Cluster doesn't light up either??

Is there a wire I can tap into to get the light in the dash to light up??

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I followed THESE INSTRUCTIONS and it works fine. Try it.

Basically make sure there is a wire going to the NSL socket on your Euroswitch.

Also you rear fog light will only come on when you have lights on. Makes sense doesn't it? Why would you turn your fog light on in the fog but you didn't turn on your lights.

[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
I followed THESE INSTRUCTIONS and it works fine. Try it.

Basically make sure there is a wire going to the NSL socket on your Euroswitch.

Also you rear fog light will only come on when you have lights on. Makes sense doesn't it? Why would you turn your fog light on in the fog but you didn't turn on your lights.

[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I followed the same instructions. Yes I know that you need the lights on for it to work, and yes the fog light itself works.
This is what I have the question about?

NOTE: The indicator lamp for the rear fog is in the RPM gauge cluster. My car was pre-wired from the factory with this hooked up. The circuit is already fused and is labeled in the fuse panel as the fog light fuse.

Does anybody have the light in the dash or the light on the switch itself??

·
Registered
174 Posts
only my front indicator works on my switch, for the rear indicator on the switch to work, you have to solder in an LED to the switch (and the corresponding wire). On the instrument cluster, I'm told the light is there, but you just have to splice into it.

THIS SITE SHOULD HELP

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Sorry I did this mod as well and I didn't think about it. I used same link as JimmyC gave for reference. However, what I meant to say is that my light in the instrument panel cluster works from the beginning. I didn't have to do squat.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Actually each time you would turn on your REAR FOG your brake lights would come on also, even the top ones and the middle one by your trunk, as you just joined them by doing the "extra rear brake mod".

I have a switch now in the trunk, which enables me to choose what configuration I want to use. Hope this helps.

PS: If you don't want the switch, you can always unplug the wire connecting the 2 brake bulbs.

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a late model '02, at some point they must have stopped pre-wiring them. Personally, I don't like the light in the cluster, I find it annoying, so I'm just going to add the LED into my Euroswitch. That mod is found on the same website as above.

This leads me to another question; can you do both the rear fog mod and the extra brake light mod? If I run two leads from the upper brake lights to the lower brake lights, I don't have to splice into anything, but will I overload something or cause a short on the left side because there are two hot leads goign into a single filament bulb. Don't know enough about the laws of electricity.

·
Registered
174 Posts
hmmm, very interesting idea (the switch). Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
interesting, i have the euro-switch, w/ no rear fog lamp, however, when i click over 2 times the cluster icon lights up, but the switch doesnt turn blue (i think), there is an extra lamp socket for the rear fog, but are you sure it werks as an extra brake lite??

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can wire it either way: the two bottoms as extra brake lights or the left side bottom as a rear fog.

On the euroswitch, you have to add an LED and a wire to it in order for the swtich indicator to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts