VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the original 1.8l, 8v out of my car, and sitting on my garage floor with a spun bearing. It's still complete, from throttle body to clutch. Here's my question: Should I attempt to rebuild the engine? Ideally I would like to put an engine in this car that has around 150 hp. I would also like to keep the costs down, and I know that it will need some machine work done. Is it reasonable to try to get that kind of hp out of this engine on a budget? I'm in no rush to get this done and I know that I can re-coop some of the cost by selling the engine that is in the car now, and I can do everything but the machine work myself. You guys are the experts, so let me know what you think. Good or Bad idea? Ja

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Get a 16v head in good condition, or if u are looking to keep thte 8v, it might be cheerer to find a low mileage 8v head, they are common and cheep as hell. For those numbers do u plan on keeping it N/A ?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Get a 16v head in good condition, or if u are looking to keep thte 8v, it might be cheerer to find a low mileage 8v head, they are common and cheep as hell. For those numbers do u plan on keeping it N/A ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, I want to keep it N/A. Don't want to get into to much $$$, just want to make it so it will hold it's own.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
16v head from a ABF code engine, stroke it to a 2.0, add water...enjoy!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Josh you know your shit where as I don't. Thanks. By the way you would'nt happen to know where I could research such a project before I try to get into it would you? Ja

1 - 5 of 5 Posts