VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First timer changing his oil tonight/this weekend. I found the thread about changing the oil on a 12v but I wanted to ask what brand of oil and what weight is best. I think I just want to use regular oil (not synthetic) to save some cash because if I'm changing it I don't mind doing it every 3k miles. Suggestions/opinions appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
5.8liters of good old 5W-30/40 will do, it's a good energy conserving oil weight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are particular brands better to use? And is 5W-30 or 5W-40 better in the cold (it's pretty cold here now)? Thanks

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
Are particular brands better to use? And is 5W-30 or 5W-40 better in the cold (it's pretty cold here now)? Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That weight is good for roughly 20 below, if your not going to go synthetic, just run regular Mobil or Castrol I guess.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 4 of 4 Posts