VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time has come to drop the jetta. How low should I/can I go? Im going with springs. I have 16's on it now and i may go to 17 in the future. So... what height would be right for me? Handling is key but also a good solid look. And what brands at a not so expensive price are right for what I want?
Danke

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If handling is key then i dont think putting 17's on a Mk2 is a good idea. 16's will look sooo hot and handle real nice, especially with a nicely set up suspension. you could go as low as 2.0-2.5 inches in the front and 1.75-2.0 in the back (with sport springs and shocks, you could go lower with coilovers).

[ August 01, 2003: Message edited by: GTIboarder ]

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My car is lowered 2.4 inches in the front and 1.9 in the back, and my camber is off a bit. Not too much of a problem though. To keep things from getting worse, get new bushings all around and front and rear strut bars to keep everything in line.

·
Registered
131 Posts
but i would keep in mind that you may have to get a camber kit, cars react different. im lowering mine only 1.25, so i dont have to get a camber kit. if you do more then that, it will be off, but even slightly will affect treadware. but as for handling, if you camber is off in the way that it wears the inside of your tires, that camber setting is for your good if you on the autox. but not suitable for daily driving.

Zak

·
Registered
414 Posts
I did a 2inch drop on the jetta i had all the way around if i were you i would do 2 in the back and 2.25/2.5 in the front. It will look great with 16's and will handle great. You will have to get your front realigned and the back will be slightly cambered but not to bad, turns will handle like a dream if you get stress bars.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Mines dropped 2.75 in the front and 2.25 in the rear.(trimmed the springs just a hair
) It handles good for having 17's but it looks killer. You can go and get crash bolts if your camber isn't right. They're less than 10 bucks i think at most auto parts stores. with 16's if you want handling don't go lower than my car. Mine rub and kinda piss me off. If you really wanna lower it alot def. go with coilovers. Alot more expensive but spings and shocks won't do for big drops.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have my golf lowered 1.5 inches and it works well with the 16's i have...i think it may have settled at about 2 inches but i am not sure...as far as handling it handles great and looks good

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AWSALK3:
Sorry...forgot to mention that its the SPAX kit from Nopi...it was $277 i beleive with shocks/struts...good deal...rides nice<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have spax too. But i just got the springs. I am using stock shocks at the moment. My guy thyat gets me all my stuff at cost is supposed to get back to me with prices on tokico lumina adj. shocks or kyb adjustables. Not sure which ones i want yet. But'll have them by the beginning of september. But anyway spax is great quality and a rough but not unberable ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts