VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've thought about computing cost per mile, with maintenance intervals included. So, with that, I would appreciate any maintenance you perform, at what mileage interval, and an estimated cost.

For example:

Oil Change
3000 Miles
$25

Go go go!

And thank you!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats part of the reason why it was an example.

·
Registered
366 Posts
K&N Performance Filter
50$ One-Time Payment
Clean every however miles you want (washer machine safe)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
i think i posted a thread just like this. but anyways all that info is in your manual. but the manual doesnt include some things. like it says change timing belt at 105000 miles but u should do it at like 80 000 miles. i change oil every 3000 miles.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I've already got all the stuff in the manual, thread updated:

Maintenance Mileage Price
Description Interval ($)

Oil + Filter Change 10000 55
Replace Spark Plugs 50000 75
Timing Belt Replacement 50000 700
Windshield Wiper Blades 5000 40
Replace Battery 50000 150
Replace Headlight Bulbs 25000 60
Clean/Replace Air Filter 10000 20

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have a mileage per say for the following but you should definitely add some of these details to your checklist:
-Check fluid levels are correct (twice a month)
-Ensure proper air pressure to all tires ( twice a month)
-Have vehicle checked for proper alignment and wear (whenever steering wheel isnt straight)
-Check all bushings on vehicle (once or twice a year)
-Draining Transmission fluid, remove transmission filter, replace with kit, seal included, refill fluid level will help extend the life of your tranny (maybe once a year)
-Changing a radiator cap, proper pressure equals proper performance (depends on wear)
-Fuel filter, a very commonly overlooked piece in a all around tune up most forget (anytime you do a tune up)
-Using an internal cleaner such as Seafoam or removing pieces and cleaning them with liquid cleaners such as brake parts cleaner or degreasers, these parts would include, throttle body, Idle air control valve, oxygen sensors, small pieces that would occur buildup of oils, dirt and debree, carbon buildup....etc. (a few times a year)

These few things better equate to an efficient tune up, which will save you in performance, gas and overall longevity of the vehicles life.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
i would say change the fuel filter once a year. costs about $20 to do and maybe 30-60min.
sparkplugs are cheap to do too. i would change them 1 to every 2 years or 20,000 miles.
suspension components should be inspected once a year and replaced when needed. also its wise to replace suspension components in pairs. example:left tie rod is bad-replace both. same with struts and shocks. if one goes bad, the other is taking part of the load and will wear out quickly.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
what about brakes....witch someone not to inclined should do, so take it to a pro. but if you know how, go at it. or go to the pro and get it checked out then do what needs to be done yourself. i just did a brake job on a 98 explorer, who ever did the brake job before had forgot to put in a pad on the passenger front, so she inded up needing a new rotor, and pads front and back, and needed to bleed the brakes, because with the one pad not on the front, caused the pistons to over extend on that side causing air to get into the lines and having no brakes was the outcome of that. so when all fixed all was 100% good after i had gone threw it.

and if your bleeding your brakes go ahead and bleed the clutch cylinder while your there.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
oem brakes should easily last 50,000miles. i would say once you hit 45,000-50,000 miles, look into getting the rotors turned and pads replaced. also depends on your driving style. my wife is hard on the brakes. she wore the rear pads out in the mk5 in less than 18,000 miles.

·
4,054 Posts
I should probably get my brakes, plugs, and wires done while I have the funds.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
my brakes will be replaced with wilwood :) an oil change for my 1.8t is around $28 if i can catch the castrol on sale at auto zone. it normally comes with a k&n filter.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
Rear pads on MKIVs seem to wear faster than the fronts. VW has said that it is due to the E-Brake, which makes not sense at all IMO. watch the rears a little more as your indicators on the fronts will not warn you the rears are eating rotors...

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Don't use a fram oil filter, they use cardboard valves and bad springs. Can kill your motor when they fail.

Not really maintenance but, keep your headlight lenses clear. That shit is so ugly. Also kills your visibility. Only need to do it what, once every 5-10 years? haha Cost 10-20 bucks and some time, unless you've got a high powered buffer than takes 2 minutes and is nearly free.

Always keep a bottle of G12. Stuff can break. Usually coolant parts can be fixed easily, no one likes to hitch a ride to get coolant and be out of it for a day or several hours. A coil pack or 2-4 coil packs on hand if you're a 1.8t never hurts. Seem to eat those.
Coil packs are about 30-40 bucks, g12 is what, 20 bucks a bottle? maybe 30. Some over priced coolant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts