VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new to me '96 Jetta GL. 8V, 5 speed. So far so good. There are some new noises coming out from under the hood. Some noisy belts on cold starts, and some minor tapping. And the steering seems pretty stiff. It's tight, I like that, but it also seems that it's not getting much help from the power steering, assuming that I have power steering, I'm not sure honestly.
So, my question is, what does everyone recommend that I should do for prevetative maintenance? The car doesn't get driven hard, it's my wife's car, but I want to make it as reliable as possible. I just checked the oil, looked fine. No leaks. It's got 122K miles. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, I almost forgot, the drivers seat is broken down pretty good. totally flattened. and it rocks back and forth a little bit...
haven't checked for loos bolts yet. this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i mite suggest finding a reliable vw mechanic in your area. i no i have one i goto when i have problems that are over my head. but if u don't no a whole lot of about working on things under the hood it might be a good idea. as for the seat , maybe part of it is coming of the track where the seat slides back and forth. just and idea. hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, the tappets ( valve adjusters ) can get noisy on older engines, I normally wouldnt worry about it if if goes away as it warms up. Use a good quality engine oil ( dont bother with synthetic ).

The belt that's noisy is probably the alternator drive belt ( normally worst at startup in cold wet conditions ), easy to adjust ( get a Haynes Manual www.haynes.co.uk ).

If you have come from a non german car ( esp Honda etc) the steering will be heavier ( more power assisted than power!). In any case, check to see that you have enough power steering fluid & also the front tyre pressures make a big difference.

The seat is easy to remove, I'ts not unknown for a weld to break on the subframe, and the plastic clips (on MK2, dont know if it's the same on MK3) on the sliders wear also.

Good luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Its nice to see some more North westerners on this board... What I have to suggest is seeing when the last time your timing belt was changed, check out your plugs and also see when your fuel filter was changed. These are all things to check out before old man winter gets nasty. Have a good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts