VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put red brakes calipers on my Golf GTI (a la 337).
Should I go to the aftermarket and if so which ones, or should I just paint them and if so what kind of paint.
Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
personally, i would go with either black or blue. the red is a wannabe thing in my opinion. hte new Golf R32 has Blue calipers and it would designate a VW more then a Porsche wannabe thing. but eitherway, just paint them. it lasts for a while if you get caliper paint. there is a Topic on here somewhere about the same question. do a search for it

·
Registered
10 Posts
i wouldn't quite call it a wannabe thing. red is just a color that should be reserved for BIG brakes. if you don't have 'em, don't do it. i'd go with either black or silver for the subtle yet modded look. now if you had some Porshe brakes...

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I have my calipers painted red NOT because I wanted to look like some other car .I did it because it looks good and it looks alot better than rusty calipers behind nice wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I painted my calipers red. I think it looks better than any other color...mainly cause my GTI is black. The contrast and match of the tail lights looks slick. As for paint. There are kits out there with pretty much everything you need. I would personally get the kind of kit that you put the paint on with a brush, as opposed to spraying. Mainly cause its less work and you don't have to mask off the wheel well. It goes on just as smooth with a brush.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
i have mine painted blue, to go with somethin different from red but any painted calipers look a hell of alot better than old dirty ass ones. i used paint from VHT which is a high temp paint. mine look pretty good on my 96 white jetta with white 17's. its a pretty easy job to do, jus make sure u clean the calipers thoroughly so the paint will stick good.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
If I were you, I would go with black. I painted mine black-I used gloss black brake caliper paint(spray), which you can get at any car parts store (ie pep boys, A&A...). I masked off the wheel well, sanded off any rusty areas, cleaned them off, then painted 3 coats of all purpose primer. waited for it to dry, and followed up with 5 coats of caliper spray. its an easy mod, and it looks real good. By the way, I have a mk4 silver gti (hence the name silverGTI). I hope that info helped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts