VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regular Intake VS. CAI

I have been trying fo figure out where to best spend my hard earned money and after talking with some buddies and getting info from this forum I have decided to get and intake(But not a CAI??) and a down pipe (or muffler???) before getting the chip. I was wondering about two things;

1) I was told not to get a CAI in Florida because I could go through a puddle and cause a vapor lock. Is this true? And will it make a difference in HP to get a regular intake as opposed to a CAI.

2) One guy at one shop said to get a 3 inch down pipe and another guy said I don't need it because my computer will override it, he then said all I needed to do was cut the muffler?

This is all so new and I'm so confused!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Regular Intake VS. CAI

an "intake" IS a CAI (Cold Air Induction)...i dont know how it would react in FLA, and im no expert in CAI's on vw's, but the ones ive had on past cars didnt ever cause any problems and i did get some HP gains...i HEAR that CAI's on mk4's dont make that much difference...my k&n filter didnt...

as far as the downpipe...what that means is the pipe that comes out of your turbo and goes to the catylitic converter and the muffler...just a downpipe isnt gonna give you that much gain, but a whole new exhaust AND a downpipe would give you a better gain, since you want to chip it, i would get exhaust and intake FIRST ,then make sure you tell the chip maker what you have so the chip can be optimized.

by "cut the muffler" i assume he meant "off"...that would give you SOME hp, but is probably illeagal....

just my .02

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Regular Intake VS. CAI

There is a difference between a intake and a CAI. A regular intake draws air from inside the hot engine compartment (neuspeed p-flow style) and a CAI draws it from outside the engine compartment (carbonio, AEM, Velocity style). You will likely feel no gain with a CAI, and you will likely lose power with a regular intake. If you are driving through more than 5-6" of standing water down there in Florida, I would be very concerned with having a CAI, as the filter on mine sits about 6-7" above the ground. If it sucks up water, yes it can ruin your motor from hydrolock.

Either way, the $100-$250 you will spend on an intake will not give you any significant gains. I would spend my money on something that wouldgive you better gains.

A downpipe will give you significant gains, but you will probably not notice them until you are chipped. I would recommend saving your $$$ and getting chipped first, and then buying a full turboback exhaust after, and then spend the $$$ on a rear sway bar or other suspension work instead of a intake. I got my intake for free from a group buy I hosted for Velocity last year, if I did not get it for free, I would have never wasted the $$$ on it.

Edit - Test

[ September 09, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Regular Intake VS. CAI

CAI dont make much of a difference, untill you are chipped. Once chipped you can hear teh engine breath. No point in getting a DP and no exhaust, its like a 3inch-2 inch pipe, that doesnt make the best noise when u downshif. But all 3 things should be done first id say, if you are gettting them done all aroudn the same time then it doesnt matter what order. the evo CAI has the fliter about 7-8 inches from the ground, i wouldnt worry about puddles, the back of the filter remains faily dry, and if ur car is going through 6+ inches of still water you may want to rethink the CAI.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Regular Intake VS. CAI

well if you do want to get a CAI and you are worried about it getting submerged in water. i know that AEM make a air bypass valve you can put on. I basically works as a check valve. but the only thing i am not sure of is if you can used them on forced induction cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts