VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to vwforum, i have a 03 GLS Golf. I installed an amp in my car awhile back but i had the remote turn on thing tested and it wasnt getting the full 12 volts to turn the amp on. so right now my amp isnt on at all.

I had it spliced into the remote turn on for the stock amp in the trunk, the tech guy said i should re-wire the remote turn on wire to the hook up off of the headunit or the ignition. My only problem is i dont know how to do that. Can anyone point me to a tutorial or something of the sort that can show me how to do this. Thanks.

·
Registered
777 Posts
its easier to runa whole new wire from the battery and put a switch somewhere so you can turn your amp on and off, it helps on long trips when your amp gets hot, either way id do it for you if you where local...

·
Registered
291 Posts
In a system what what should be done, if you wanted to do it properly, is a wire run from the amp to the headunit. you could wire a switch but that seems all of a pain in the ass for me. depending on the type of the amp it may have a heat shutdown system on it or a back up system so that it doesnt get too hot or if a fuse is blown it wont kill everything. If it doesnt I would think about getting a new amp because Ive had an amp blow itself because of getting too hot, and then in turn blow 2 really expensive audiobahn subs. But back to the wiring. There is a spot on the amp for remote turn on. its a small like 32 guage wire(dont know exactly what the guage is but its skinny). This should be run to the back of the headunit where there will be a place ot plug in. usually it doesnt plug directly into the back of the headunit, but into a wiring harness. If you don't know what your doing I would have some one else do it. Even a place like circuit city or a best buy could probably do it (not that i reccomend it) but you should be able to find some one to do it...hopefully that helps a little bit.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Here is what I did to make an aftermarket amplifier work with my stock head unit:

There is a shelf panel underneath the driver side dashboard. 3 T20 Torx screws remove it. Slide that panel out, and if you look on the left, you will see the relay panel, and on the bottom of the relay panel you will see a bunch of numbered terminals. Look for the one that says "75/X" on it. This terminal provides power only with the ignition on, as long as the car isn't cranking (starting). Hook up your remote wire to that terminal, and it will do a fine job of turning your amp on, without having to splice into any wires.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Here is what I did to make an aftermarket amplifier work with my stock head unit:

There is a shelf panel underneath the driver side dashboard. 3 T20 Torx screws remove it. Slide that panel out, and if you look on the left, you will see the relay panel, and on the bottom of the relay panel you will see a bunch of numbered terminals. Look for the one that says "75/X" on it. This terminal provides power only with the ignition on, as long as the car isn't cranking (starting). Hook up your remote wire to that terminal, and it will do a fine job of turning your amp on, without having to splice into any wires.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

in my ranger there was some unused slots in the fusebox, with a little soldering i had a fuse in the actual fusebox for my remote....i dont know if there are any vacant ones on the mk4......carson???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the information so far. For the plug on the back of the head unit...i have the double din monsoon system. will this create a problem? and yes my amp does have the turn off feature if it gets too hot. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Marcus, the unused slots in VW fuseboxes would need terminals installed in the back and then wired...but you could do it if you get the necessary fuse wiring terminals to make it work. The unused slots have no terminals from the factory. Could you do it? Yeah, its possible, but its just easier to run a wire from the 75/X relay, as the Amp has its own fuse (or at least it should).

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Also, the stock Monsoon radio does not have a provision to turn on the amplifier. Wiring to the 75/X relay for your amp trigger is the best way to do it IMHO...its the way I made my amp work with my stock radio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im going to try the 75/x wire solution this wkend. i appreciate everyones input, ill let you all know how it went later. Thanks again!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts