VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to install my city light bulbs and im having some problems. i got the covers off and i just need to know how to take the bulb out of the socket. there is very little room to work with so it is hard to get a grasp on the actual bulb socket.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
There is a black ring around the bulb you have to unscrew it. It really takes a little rotation to unscrew it.

The bulb should then come out of the headlight but still in it's socket. Then simply use a flat head screwdriver to unlatch it. Make sure you don't touch the glass part of the bulbs. (Unless you wanna change them again shortly
)

Be careful not to brake off the little latch!!!

PS: IF you are trying to change the smaller bulb you have to wait until Brian (SilverGTI) pops back in he recently put red bulbs in there. And sorry but Jetta's don't have that little bulbs there. Good luck.

[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wasnt unscrewing anything when I installed my lights anyway there is a clip that u push left or right depending on which side to release the bulb then u simply switch the lights and clip it back on. the clib is like a door it cant fall off it just depresses the light bulb. thats is after u have unpluged the wires from the bulbs!!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I am glad you figured it out.

As I said I don't own the Golf.

On the Jetta you do have to unscrew a black plastic ring before getting to the bulb.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought it was DCK who figured it out. Sorry SilverstoneGTI. Peace YO!

[ July 04, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I am going to dig around in there this morning. there is not a lot of room for me to get my manly hands in there, but I will try. and the city lights I am talking about are the little 194 3watt bulbs that are right below the high beam "circle." when rich and I were doing the joey mod, we had the headlight assembly completely off. its a lot harder to change the bulb when its back on the car, and there are a lot of things crammed behind where you need to be. I will post back here when/if I get mine changed. thanks.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i put mine in before we did the joey mod. then changed them when we did it. its really hard to get your hands in but when i did it i followed the wires down to the bulb and tried to pull, i couldent get it. but the wires seeemed real strong so i actually pulled on the wires to pull out the bulb and IT WORKED! i dont know if i would recomend doin this again just incase but mine worked ok
but i know it is in there really though.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i finally got them in. I got my brother to help me out and just pulled very hard and pulled them out. no clips or anything. just pull and they will come out. dont be afraid to pull. i will post some pics of them. they look really nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts