VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. does anyone know how to remove the grille and rear emblem from the mk3's?? I want to paint mine black but i cant figure on how to get them out...

·
Registered
423 Posts
The grill emblem just pops out of the grill. Just grab the emblem behind the black trim ring behind it and pull on it.Or use a small screw driver and pry it out.

As for the rear one, It should be just stuck on there with tape. Use a heat gun lossen the tape. But be carfull with the heat gun. Not to much heat.

Good luck, Hope this helps.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i know that the front emblem clips in, you un clip it from the back of the grille i think it would be easyier if you remove the front grille to do it, the rear i dont know i had my friend do it while my car was at his shop

·
Registered
161 Posts
what would be the best thing to use to paint the emblem in the back black?? its faded and isnt shiny silver like the front grill emblem so i wanna paint it black.if you go any input thats great.peace.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for those im just gonna use gloss black spray paint... lightly sand with like a super fine paper so the paint has something to stick to and it wont crack off!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
the rear emblem on a Mk3 is held on by two clips.

CAREFULLY pry off the emblem with a flat head screwdriver (wrapped in electrical tape to save the paintjob)

sand the emblem completely (all the nooks and crannies too)

paint the desired color. i prefer about 4 coats to insure full coverage

then paint with a high gloss clear coat (to protect your paintjob. the more coats you put on, the more "depth" the piece will appear to have.

to put back on, disassemble the clips into two pieces. put the tabbed pieces into the holes in the trunk. attach the other pieces onto the emblem. line the emblem up and push it on carefully (but firmly).

you're done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts