VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know how to remove the letters off of the back of the car.
i.e. G O L F

How do you remove those without damaging the paint underneath?

Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
clean off the area around the emblem really good. then dry of course. then with a blow dryer. heat the emblem and area but not too much because you could mess up the paint job then with the fishline slowly slide it under the emblem removing it. then with a dry towel wipe away any tape/glue left over. clean it off with goo gone...then wash and wax a few times...

[ October 16, 2003: Message edited by: Vr6Gti16 ]

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Easy,

Tools:
1. Blow dryer/Heat gun
2. Dental floss
3. 3M adhesive remover/Goo Gone or similiar product
4. Clean rag

Step 1.
Heat the letters

Step 2.
Run the floss behind the letters thus ripping the double sided tape.

Step 3. Douse the residue black gunked on double sided tape with the 3M or similar liquid/spray.

Step 4. Wipe off 3M crap off. Don't be afraid to rub it!

Recommended Step 5:
Wash and wax area.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Easy,

Tools:
1. Blow dryer/Heat gun
2. Dental floss
3. 3M adhesive remover/Goo Gone or similiar product
4. Clean rag

Step 1.
Heat the letters

Step 2.
Run the floss behind the letters thus ripping the double sided tape.

Step 3. Douse the residue black gunked on double sided tape with the 3M or similar liquid/spray.

Step 4. Wipe off 3M crap off. Don't be afraid to rub it!

Recommended Step 5:
Wash and wax area.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will have to do Step 5 a few times. But yup that's how you do it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
As they said above, either the 3m stuff or goo gone should work. The 3m works a TON better though and is designed for use on automotive paint, goo gone is citris based and is not designed for paint so I would be hesitant to use it. I used the goo gone for my pinstripe removal, and it worked ok, but I used the 3m for my rear emblems and it worked great.

Also, as they said above too - DO NOT FORGET TO WASH AND REWAX. This stuff will remove ALL wax from your paint and if you don't wash it and recoat it, it will be nekkid to the elements, plus any residue from the adhesive removal product you choose to use will be left there to eat away slowly at the paint.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
another way is to heat it like they said, then use an old CD and it scrapes off the letters and adhesive, but it doesnt make the paint at all. Its an easy job. Make sure that it isnt a clip in, you you will have a few small holes in the back of the car

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, guys, thanks for your prompt replies and good tips, will tackle this job soon enough.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Flat head screwdriver and some sandpaper. This will take it off real nice and you won't have to worry about waxing! Just kidding, do what those guys said. Good Luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGolfCart:
Flat head screwdriver and some sandpaper. This will take it off real nice and you won't have to worry about waxing! Just kidding, do what those guys said. Good Luck!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH GREAT! BEFORE I GOT TO THE "JUST KIDDING" PART, I RUSHED OUT AND DID IT. NOW MY CAR IS RUINNED!!

just kidding

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
using a blow dryed and a cd works great did that many times on my car and it looks great

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwspeed97:
using a blow dryed and a cd works great did that many times on my car and it looks great
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CD???

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwspeed97:
yea it scratches off the residue, doesnt harm the paint either<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

nooo way

1 - 14 of 14 Posts