VW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've come to the conclusion with the previous coilover sinking through knuckle issue that I'm going to just replace the two front coilovers with brand new coils. Thing is, I want to prevent this from ever happening again. Is there something I can do to prevent them from sinking through the knuckle again? Already planning on using new pinch bolts, but is it possible to like.. tack weld something onto the coilover housing to act as a stopper on the knuckle?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,448 Posts
Yes. It won't hurt to weld a tab or some sort of stopper to prevent it from sliding. If it were to happen again then whomever is installing them is over tightening the pinch bolt and crushing the body making it want to slide through the knuckle. I removed my coilovers almost 2 x a month it seemed to mess with them. Never had the issue of them sliding. So there is either something wrong with the coilover body, knuckle or they are being installed poorly. Also clean the inside of the knuckle. Make sure there is no paint, oil, grease or anything else in there.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,448 Posts
Don't waste money on new Oem pinch bolts. Do this...
Most know that when you remove the pinch bolt and nut, you should NOT reuse it. They are torque to yield bolts. So instead of giving the dealership or online vendors that will rape you in shipping charges, I came up with this.
What's needed.
Dremel with sanding disks
2- 1/2 - 13x3in. Grade 8 bolts ($1.57/ea)
4- 1/2 grade 8 washers (sold in 3pk $0.94)
2- 1/2-13 nylon locking nuts ($1.18)
Total $7.38

Obviously you need to jack up the car and remove the wheels, and remove the Oem bolts and nuts.
Now take your dremel and clean up the inside where the bolt slides through. You want the bolt to be able to slide through with no resistance.

Next you need to grind the washers flat on a side. This is so the fit nice on the sides of the knuckle.

Now put a washer on the bolt first then slide it through the knuckle. Put another washer on and finally the nylon locking nut.

Now you have a nut and bolt that you can reuse more than once. Oem torque specs is 44ft. lbs. and a 1/4 turn. A little anti-seize on the bolt probably would not hurt either.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. It won't hurt to weld a tab or some sort of stopper to prevent it from sliding. If it were to happen again then whomever is installing them is over tightening the pinch bolt and crushing the body making it want to slide through the knuckle. I removed my coilovers almost 2 x a month it seemed to mess with them. Never had the issue of them sliding. So there is either something wrong with the coilover body, knuckle or they are being installed poorly. Also clean the inside of the knuckle. Make sure there is no paint, oil, grease or anything else in there.
Fubar, but isn't it dangerous to weld onto a hydraulic strut? Do you have any example pictures of what you did exactly?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to go through the hassle of welding a stopper, you have to remove the insert.
Do I have any other alternatives that don't involve me taking apart the insert? I just want double the assurance that this issue with the coil sinking isn't going to happen again.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,448 Posts
Someone with experience could easily weld on them without removing the inserts. I've done it. It's not like you are welding a bead around the whole thing on one pass. 2 quick welds on either side would be fine. There is a gap between the coil body and the insert.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Someone with experience could easily weld on them without removing the inserts. I've done it. It's not like you are welding a bead around the whole thing on one pass. 2 quick welds on either side would be fine. There is a gap between the coil body and the insert.
Perfect. Those were my intentions. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: Removed old coilovers, replaced with new, put brand new pinch bolts and cleaned the shit out of the steering knuckle with brake cleaner. Two days so far and no sinking. Car rides so much better. Now to replace the two cv boots this upcoming weekend and I'm good to go. Anyone know of some lower profile cv boots for our axles to install? Something a little less bulky so that it's not close to the bottom of the steering knuckle as it is with OEM?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts