VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all the cars i've had in the past screw off. this has some kind of clamp i guess. anyone have advice as to how to replace.

i have an 03 jetta wagon - and am replacing stock 5spd knob with a leather one...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'm prety sure your knob just screws off. My 2003 screws off but, it needs a bit of effort. I was nervous about breaking it at first but, just put some elbow grease into it and it will come off.

P.S. I'll check the service manual to make sure.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I have a 2001 Jetta and mine was a clamp. I just took a pair of snippers and cut it. takes some effort. Then i used a real small hose clamp (where you screw to tighten) to tighten my new knob on.
jon

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
The famous VW 1 time use clamps. My worst fear. lol iv borken the vacume hose tab on 2 dv because of it lol, yeh the knob is held on with the clamp, you will see the bumb where it is pinched then after that are some little spike type things in the middle of the band, the end of the clamp is viable a little past the last spike. just get a flathead and pry the tip of the band up, grab plyers and pull out and up, it will pop off with ease. sry for shatty details

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Instructions on how to remove OEM shif knob:

1. Place vice grips on clamp
2. Twist like hell
3. Realize that if/when you sell the car, you are not getting the factory one back on.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ohh it can be done... just buy a hose clamp at a local auto parts store and tighten that really well at the bottom of the stock shifter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice! wish it was easier. they probably do that so you have to take it into the dealership $$$.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cawfebug:
thanks for the advice! wish it was easier. they probably do that so you have to take it into the dealership $$$.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

vw does that a lot with anything on there car. i purchased aftermarket tail lights and it was one of the hardest installs i've ever done. it took me almost 2 hours!

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
vw does that a lot with anything on there car. i purchased aftermarket tail lights and it was one of the hardest installs i've ever done. it took me almost 2 hours!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the taillights were one of the easier things I've done. I think it took me like 30 minutes.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Iv done a whole DIY smoke job, taking lights off and back on in under 15 min. Gotta have the deep sockets tho lol

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
between finding the right sockets, taking out the monsoon amp(which was a bitch), and carefully taking out and installing the taillights it took almost 2 hours.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that two hours American or Candadian?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Is that two hours American or Candadian?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He didn't say 4 hours Raf so Canadian.

However it took me about 15 min to do the swap to my Hella Tails.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
He didn't say 4 hours Raf so Canadian.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's right thomas!!! gotta love canucks sticking up for other canucks!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
I thought the taillights were one of the easier things I've done. I think it took me like 30 minutes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

between finding the right sockets, taking out the monsoon amp(which was a bitch), and carefully taking out and installing the taillights it took almost 2 hours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts