VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I believe I have been a victim of theft/vandalism. My 2000 Jetta suddenly was missing it's passenger side towing eye cover AND the lower valance that goes just below the front bumper.

If anyone has replaced these before, are they easily removed?? Could someone have easily taken the valance without leaving too much noticible damage? I know the eyelet can be removed easily as it was designed specifically for that purpose.

So, If I buy a $45 new lower valance, would replacing it be difficult? It appears to attach with lots of plastic fasteners or something.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for writing back! I've already read so many threads on this forum and learned a lot about my Jetta. I'm going to see what my dealer might do for me first, since I have only had my Jetta for a month. I bought it with the VW Certified warranty.

Also, any idea where I could get the tow eye cover? No body shop online has these for the MK4 generation models even though they all have them for the Jetta III.

Do you guys think it's possible that someone would want to just take off those parts off my car? There's no way the valance could just fall off by itself, correct? I would imagine that it's impossible for all those screws and clips to give way at the same time. It would have to by systematically removed.

I hope none of you have to deal with an issue like this with your Dubs.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ATPTourFan:
Thanks for writing back! I've already read so many threads on this forum and learned a lot about my Jetta. I'm going to see what my dealer might do for me first, since I have only had my Jetta for a month. I bought it with the VW Certified warranty.

Also, any idea where I could get the tow eye cover? No body shop online has these for the MK4 generation models even though they all have them for the Jetta III.

Do you guys think it's possible that someone would want to just take off those parts off my car? There's no way the valance could just fall off by itself, correct? I would imagine that it's impossible for all those screws and clips to give way at the same time. It would have to by systematically removed.

I hope none of you have to deal with an issue like this with your Dubs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not too long after I got my car my lower valence broke too. The dealer charged me like $175 or something like that to replace it. They gave me a hard time about it, and definitely wouldn't replace it under the warranty, but then again I don't like the dealership I got it at, so maybe you will have better luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh... well, thanks for that little story.. do you know how it broke? Mine was in perfect condition as far as I know. Did you break it accidentally and just needed them to fix it?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ATPTourFan:
missing it's passenger side towing eye cover <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you referring to the lid that covers your towing eye in the rear don't worry. Most of these things are taken off by the dealers anyway. There is not even 1 jetta with that on where I live. Mine was on but got stolen or (I think taked off by the dealer during an oil change a long time ago).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, I'm talking about the front right cover on the bumper. There are three light plastic grille type covers across the front on the bumper. My passenger side one is missing. I can't find those parts anywhere. I guess my dealer could get one being that they're a VW body shop.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Oh... well, thanks for that little story.. do you know how it broke? Mine was in perfect condition as far as I know. Did you break it accidentally and just needed them to fix it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It broke either when I was driving int he winter and I hit a chunkk of ice in the street, or when I was leaving my father's driveway, it's VERY steep and I hit the ground.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
That piece is $7 dollars Canadian or so.

I asked how much it is at the dealer while I was cutting a hole for my foglights, about a light year ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
That piece is $7 dollars Canadian or so.

I asked how much it is at the dealer while I was cutting a hole for my foglights, about a light year ago.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for making me feel MUCH better!
I already feel bad enough about my poor Jetta missing body parts.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts

Thanks for making me feel MUCH better!
I already feel bad enough about my poor Jetta missing body parts.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

try checking at a junk yard. the bumper vents (which you are talking about) are super easy to take out, so it's feasable that someone might have yoinked it. sorry to hear about this. hope you can find one. welcome to the forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts