VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace both rear tires of my Jetta GLS 2.0
Currently I have Michelin Energy MXV4 195/65R15 91H as the specifications on my tire. Should I use the same specs or is there something better for lower price (dealer says each is around 135 bucks!)
Also should I put the new tires in the front and get the front to the back or shud I put the new tires in the rear itself.
The front tires are 195/65R15 89H again from Michelin Energy MXV4

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe you should consider upgrading to a 17" package. Check out tirerack and edgeracing for some good deals...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the site info. That is really helpful. But now am confused as to which is a really gud tire. lol.
There r lots of reviews on Michelin Energy MXV4 and most of them are not too gud.
What do u guys suggest? what are the tires one shud look for?
Also should i get rotation done(front to back and back in front) once i go for new tires?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I'd do what Raf suggested, and check out the tire rack and see what they have in your tire size. They rate each tire, and you can choose from their wide selection.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You probably want to have the same tires at all 4 corners. Look into buying all of them.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Depends on what you want in a tire. Do you just want a replacement touring tire, or do want some added performance? I would think about doing at least a 16" upgrade, but then again, most of us here are pretty mod happy...

I wonder what the montreal II's would look like on a Jetta...probably pretty good. That also would allow you to go to at least 205 width, giving you better grip and braking and therefore increasing safety.

Your call though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I surfed the site and found this tire
'Bridgestone Turanza LS-H (Grand Touring All-Season)' pretty gud. has some gud reviews. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+LS-H&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=965HR5TLS&fromCompare1=yes

Allthough one of u guys suggested that I shud change all the 4 tires instead of changing just 2! My front tires are not that bad yet. I think they can easily drive for another 10K miles.
Should I still change all the 4? would it have any performace degradation if I change only 2 (rear ones)

Thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
You probably want to have the same tires at all 4 corners. Look into buying all of them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed!!! You don't want to mix your tread patterns...if you only have 10k left on the front then just toss them and get all 4...

Don't get Michelin, they cost WAY too much (my opinion).

Now, are you looking for an all season or just summer? (I'd guess, but you didn't list your location) This is something to consider when looking for new tires.

Another tire site tires.com
(if you live near one, cool. if not, go to the 'deliver to your door')

They give you free shipping as well!!! Not quite the same selection as tirerack, but they do have some that are the same.

these are out of stock...maybe they'll get more, but they get a really good rating at 1010tires.com (yet another tire site) and they're cheap!!! $55 each, shipped.
Falken ze 512

I think i'm going to get my wife a set of these for the summer!

[ March 02, 2004: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
777 Posts
i have different ones on the front than the back but thats just because im getting new wheels soon anyway, but both are h-rated (130 mph) and i have been that fast with no problems.... as long as both are quality you wont have problems, go to tires.com they are super-cheap!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Look into getting some performance tires. Though if you get performance tires, they tend to wear out faster than normal touring tires (of course). Try Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 their pretty cheap and have decent performance.

62$ a pop

[ March 04, 2004: Message edited by: GTI 1.8T ]

·
Registered
736 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI 1.8T:
Look into getting some performance tires. Though if you get performance tires, they tend to wear out faster than normal touring tires (of course). Try Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 their pretty cheap and have decent performance.

62$ a pop

[ March 04, 2004: Message edited by: GTI 1.8T ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have these tires on my 18" ATI wheels....ive had no problems and they r cheap

1 - 12 of 12 Posts