VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- It's been a few years since I owned a VW... I've had a 91 Jetta Wolfsburg, a 96 Golf GL, and a 97 Jetta GLS. I'm selling my new Jeep and am looking into buying a used VW to keep payments/ costs low. I've seen a couple 1.8t 4 door golfs around... When did they stop making that? I'm just curious about my chances of owning one from 2002, or 2003. It gives me the practicality and the fun in a package that I find to be pleasing to the eye. I'm drooling to get back behind the wheel of a VW, and I need something with more cargo room but I just cannot see myself in a Jetta Wagon.... not yet anyhow!

Thanks for the replies, and I look forward to not just being a member of the site, but a driver as well!!

Dave

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
if u can snag a 1.8t 4 door golf... BITCHIN. its a find for certain. welcome back to the land of DUBS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok... so if 2001 was the last year for them, that means the 1.8t delivers 150 hp, not 180? In light of that, and the fact that I can get a newer 2.0 for less moneywith many less miles, someone please tell me about the 2.0 ..... They aren't powerhouses for sure, but what kind've modding can you do to extract some HP from them? 115 hp- I might as well throw a lawnmower engine in there. How's the torque? I'm looking at a manual tranny so it won't be THAT bad, but still.... lemme know your two cents...

thanks- Dave

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Yes, they were 150HP.
2.0's are fine engines, very strong...but a little lacking on power. 115HP is correct, and torque is noting great.
Normally aspirated options are few, and forced induction seems to be the posion of choice for someone to stubborn to just buy a 1.8t :wink:

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
There is a 1.8T 4dr that is rare but findable. The end year 2001 1.8T engine code AWW
If you can find one of these you you will be very happy. Since most 1.8T owners stop at the chip this is surely a bang for the buck car. The AWD motor makes 150 and so does the AWW but when you add a chip it's a big diferance .The AWW jumps past the numbers the awd can make and catches up to the later 1.8T motors. making a woping 215 hp with 240 torque .This is with no other modifications other than a chip. No small car on the market can give you such a power gain for just a chip install.
:wink:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Kaos said:
There is a 1.8T 4dr that is rare but findable. The end year 2001 1.8T engine code AWW
If you can find one of these you you will be very happy. Since most 1.8T owners stop at the chip this is surely a bang for the buck car. The AWD motor makes 150 and so does the AWW but when you add a chip it's a big diferance .The AWW jumps past the numbers the awd can make and catches up to the later 1.8T motors. making a woping 215 hp with 240 torque .This is with no other modifications other than a chip. No small car on the market can give you such a power gain for just a chip install.
:wink:

always down playing the awd......man o man. when i just had a chip and cold air and a tip i made far more torque then an aww with full exhaust chip tip intercooler pipe dv etc.
the awd is a competitor

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
JFryauff said:
Kaos said:
No small car on the market can give you such a power gain for just a chip install.
Your kidding right?
Name 1
65 hp
85 torque
I have never seen any other car company build a 4 cylinder car that has this much of a gain from a chip for only $500. With out having any other part changed.

Oh AWD's suck :p I said it. If I had an AWD I would be going crazy right now.
Oh god my turbo blew. Whats this limp mode Yadda yadda yadda :roll:
There is not one thing besides swaping to an AEB or what ever head which no one has done to make a big diferance. The coil rumor well guess what they fit AWW' and AWP's too :p
Good lord who gives a rats ass buy a honda :?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Kaos said:
JFryauff said:
Kaos said:
No small car on the market can give you such a power gain for just a chip install.
Your kidding right?
Name 1
65 hp
85 torque
I have never seen any other car company build a 4 cylinder car that has this much of a gain from a chip for only $500. With out having any other part changed.

There is not one thing besides swaping to an AEB or what ever head which no one has done to make a big diferance. The coil rumor well guess what they fit AWW' and AWP's too :p

wow someone is ticked off tonight

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
:D caez, do u need a hug? your stating your opinion, so your entitled to it. i agree that for the money chips give you alot of bang for the buck. as far as the 2.0... not to bash any owners of the 2.0 owners but the motor is lacking no matter what you do to it. im winging it here but with most peeps budget, you could supercharge it or turbo the car and get 210 hp. not worth teh money if you ask me. like i said i prob stepped on some toes and for that im sorry but lets be honest... the 2.0 will never make the power a 1.8t or vr6 makes. that motor was designed to be fuel efficient and thats exactly what it will do. if you want good HP, then opt for the turbo setup or go all motor for a while then drop the turbo kit into a vr6. thats the most potent setup of vw's line up but also the MOST expensive to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK... I'm a little lost in the technical mumbo-jumbo, so someone PLEASE water it down for me!!! I should look for an engine code A-W-W, right? What's AWD? As a layman, I'd think all wheel drive, but I'm guessing it's another engine code. What's the difference??? And with nothing more than a chip, I could get 210 HP?? And how might that affect the gas mileage? Those of you with the 1.8 and the 2.0- what's your mileage look like???

And to throw a monkey wrench in here... what about the TDI??? 95HP, but what about the torque? and mods? I read a thread in here that modding it is way expensive, but very worthwhile.

:cry: so many things in my head at 5AM!!! I need a coffee!

Dave

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
well, aww, and awp and awd are just engine codes. every engine regardless of manufacturer has an engine code. the ones mentioned are different ypes of 1.8t motors. some engine codes are easier to work on then others. the TDI has less HP then the 2.0 but damn does it got torque. what would you expect, its a diesel. you can do very little to a TDI. i think they make a chip for it that improves the HP but makes the TQ alot higher. the 2.0 is an econo-motor. cut and dry its for saving gas cuz i honestly cant find any other use for it.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Ok I calmed down. :p
The 2.0 is in no way a eco motor. Beleave it or not the 1.8T and 2.0 get around the same gas milage :lol:
The 1.8T was a power option .More power same gas. But that option will cost you heavly average price diferance between a 2.0 and 1.8T 4k :shock:
Main benifit of a 1.8t though is when you add power adders like chip big turbo exhaust. You still tend to keep the same gas milage. Most 1.8T owners do not get the gas saving benifits because we like to floor it alot :lol:
But when a 2.0 gets a power adder the milage drops big time.
TDI's are wonderfull. If I knew what I know now I may have choses it over the 1.8T.
You can get a TDI still in the 4dr golf option. From what the TDI guys tell me they can be made very powerfull. Plus you still get that 43+ miles per gallon. :wink:

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Kaos said:
JFryauff said:
Kaos said:
Your kidding right?
Name 1
65 hp
85 torque

Haha...getting all worked up over nothing...I love it.
I know you don't really think that a AWP engined VW is the "only" small car to exceed a "whopping" 215HP with just a chip? There are many small cars that start life stock with more than that! Over zealous tuner numbers are fun and all, but we live in the real world. You'd probably need a down-pipe at least to actually see those numbers on your local dyno. Heck...Vishnu does that too!
Having never owned a AWD, but saying they suck...well that's another story.
AWD engines are fine if you know what your doing, and do things properly...I never had any issues, and made great power.

Sorry about the rant...back on topic.
A chip will effect the gas mileage as much as you let you right foot allows it! :wink:
It should remain relatively stock...but very few peoples actually do...you don't spend $500 to conserve gas do you?

The TDI...the ALH version put out 90HP, and gobs of torque...155ft lbs to be exact.
The newer 2004+ gave 100HP/177ft lbs...then of course the 2.0 Passat's with 134, and 5.0 Touareg with 310hp...but let's stick with the Golf/Jetta's.
Software, larger injectors, Oldman intake, straight pipe, etc. will yield about 140HP/290ft lbs out of the 90HP model.
As far as stock drivability...they are great...my wife has one, and enjoys the day to day with it much more than her MkIII 2.0 Jetta.

Drive EVERYTHING you can! It's the only way to make a good decision.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
43??? DAMN. anybody want a t03/04 turboed 1.8??? no no, just kidding. i love the power curve on my version of the car better then the stock one.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I am not talking about the 215 hp. I am tlking about the bang for your buck factor. I never spent 500 and got 65hp from any car. I most of the time have to spend alot more to do so. :lol:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
"I need something with more cargo room but I just cannot see myself in a Jetta Wagon.... not yet anyhow!"

If you can't find a 1.8T 4 door Golf and need the cargo space, i've seen some jetta wagons's that are hot! and not to metion quick :K: just to open the window of dubs a little more for ya :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts