VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i put my car into reverse and let the clutch out all the way and start to move my reverse gear pops out and makes a disgusting grinding noise, the only way that this doesn't happen is if i hold it into place but even then sometimes it happens... i made an apt. at my VW dealer, but i was wondering if anyone knew why this would happen and how serious and expensive of a problem this could be.

·
Registered
203 Posts
im not too sure about this maybe one of the other people here could confirm this but i think it would most likely be your reverse gear synchro

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
dont synchros work when its going into the gear? it lines the gear up dosent it? his problem is it pops out after its in, i could be wrong.. anyone else know!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I don't know how much help this is but try hitting the clutch twice before putting it in reverse. I usually do this when I put it just isn't going in right.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
even when i do put it into reverse a couple of times and it feels like it goes into gear all the way it still pops out and grinds, so i don't know what to do, i just have to wait till my apt. with VW and hope that its something that they can fix

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine kinda does the same thing. it makes a nice clunking noise but it stays in reverse till i get to a certain speed then it jumps out. i think i broke a tooth off the reverse gear this year when doin donuts in reverse in the snow. haha

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 964dgolf:
mine kinda does the same thing. it makes a nice clunking noise but it stays in reverse till i get to a certain speed then it jumps out. i think i broke a tooth off the reverse gear this year when doin donuts in reverse in the snow. haha
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhh the good old reverse donuts...

They sure make your car feel like a rear wheel drive car don't they?

And yes they are fun...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah that is exactly what happened i was having a little fun doing donuts in the snow and it chipped my reverse gear and i took it to vw and they gave me a new transmission for FREE
, and i got a new clutch as well i guess i will have to take it a lil' easier on my car from now on

·
Registered
10 Posts
so it all turned out well! reverse donuts are fun but i'd rather have nice warm weather instead of all this snow. but its cool that vw did that all for ya for nuthin.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
o i wish it was all for free, the transmission was the only free thing. the total cost came to $550, that was for the labor of removing my heat shield and also a new clutch kit. so it wasn't cheap, but it could of been alot worse if i had to pay for the trans.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts