VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ppl im just about ready to get some 17" rims for my 2001 jetta/bora (silver). i just wanted some advice and if u can give me some names or companys who make sic rims for the car.. ne specific pics would be nice .. and do u belive that toyo or kumo tired are better. thanx vw luv LOL!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Tire wise I am a fan of Dunlop and Yoko's.

As per the rim/wheel choice? How much money are we talking? As I've seen 17" range from all the way up to 1000 per rim/wheel.

Here are some of my current favs.

VWA and Challenge (with the sportive hubcap) from Zender.

ZENDER WHEEL SELECTION

And... oettinger is obviously a given...

I am sure you will see a wide selection in this thread soon...

·
Registered
335 Posts
i personally like Motegis and Volk wheels, they both have websites under their names. Motegi has a new line called RoJa. they have a lot of models, but without a price range, i don't really know what you're looking for. i have a friend with an M3 that spent $3k per wheel, without rubber.

·
Registered
844 Posts
As far as rims go, I say BBS or OZ. They make some of the lightest and strongest wheels on the market. As for Tires, I'm a fan of Yoko's, Bridgestones, and Michelin's (sp?). If I had the money, I'd get a set of BBS CH rims with Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S03's, but I'm nothing more than a poor white kid!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I'm really liking the Moda R6s. I've heard nothing but good things about the Bridgestone Potenza S-03's. A little pricey but you do get what you pay for.

And yes, I'm saving up to get them in 18's

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I just purchased a set of 4 Yokohama AVS ES100's. Here is a cut and past of a review I did on another board.

Yokohama AVS ES100's 225/50/16 - Well IMO, I am very impressed with these tires. I like them a lot better than the Kumho's I got last summer, and will probably buy another set of these for next year.

The tires seem to perform about the same as the Kumhos, just as sticky, and handling is very good. The dry traction is great, and a massive improvement over the winter tires I have had on. They also seem much more predictable when they start to break away than the Kumho's were.

The wet traction (it was pouring this morning on the way to work) is great as I was zooming along at 80mph on the open highway this morning to work and noticed no hydroplaning at all. After I get off the highway, I have about 10 miles of back roads that I take to avoid traffic, that never have traffic and have some great twisties. I usually test out new suspension/brake/tire mods here as you can see all the way around the turns so you know to slow down for oncoming traffic. It has some low speed tight corners that are perfect for the top of second gear that I can usually do some small drifts around when you let off the throttle, and I found it very difficult to break the car loose on the turns despite the down pour. I am very happy with this.

The tires also have less road noise than the Kumho's. The noise is about the same as my winter Mich. XGTH4's that are on my Avus wheels. Something I noticed about my Kumho's that I don't notice now is the car used to track and pull from side to side when I hit inconsistencies (spell?) on the roads surface, usually open highway at cruising speeds, and I really didn't like this. I experience none of this with the ES100's.

Also, I really like the side walls on the Yokohama's. The way they are designed is that there is a lip of rubber around the edge of the wheel that also protects it from curbs and accidental damage to the wheel. I like this a lot. It also for some reason has the sidewall designed so that it looks and appears to be a much lower profile tire than it actually is (this is great for the looks of the tire, which is not very important but a nice perk).

IMO, these tires are a great value, and unless you are concerned with cutting a few tenths off your track times, these are the tires everyone should be buying instead of the mid and high end tires like the S03's, GY Eagle F1's, etc. I see so many people that are pressed on buying tires that are $180+ per tire, and it just isn't worth it unless you are honestly a good enough driver to push your car to it's limits and are competing in track events where 2/10ths of a second difference with tires may mean a win/loss.

They perform about the same as Kumho's, maybe a little better when it comes to dry surfaces, but the other perks I mentioned above I feel make them a beter value. Plus they have a wear rating of 280 so I hope to get at least 20,000 miles of abuse and a few Autox's out of them this summer.

Did I mention that the tread pattern looks pretty badass too, much better than the Kumho's? Hopefully some pics will follow as soon as the weather breaks and I can get a camera.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V33dub_GTI:
As far as rims go, I say BBS or OZ. They make some of the lightest and strongest wheels on the market. As for Tires, I'm a fan of Yoko's, Bridgestones, and Michelin's (sp?). If I had the money, I'd get a set of BBS CH rims with Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S03's, but I'm nothing more than a poor white kid!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree man. but i do have to say i love my sumitomo tires. they dont sound to good but they are sweet and sticky and they say it in that big tymers song

·
Registered
91 Posts
for the wheels i think konig has some bad wheels... im got 19" imagine's ordered for my 2000 navy jetta. i also have kumho's on my jetta, and they are pretty good, but i havent tried any others.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i myself would go with bbs's...they've had a stong connection with vw for a while now, so you get some heritage along with the looks and performance. no one's mentioned the michelin tires, but my dad has z-rated pilots (my car has cheapo "energy"), and something like those would be a good choice as well.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dubwink:
i agree man. but i do have to say i love my sumitomo tires. they dont sound to good but they are sweet and sticky and they say it in that big tymers song
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hell yeah sumitomo's rule. sounds like a ricey tire, but seriously, a real good tire-kick ass tread pattern too. got them on sale too $90/tire. I have 225/50/16 htr+ on my gti now. I love them. Im getting the same tire on my 17s. 225=wide ass tire=looks real good from behind. Im going with the moda r3 wheel. looks like the r32 wheels, I like the audi rs4 wheels also. I guess Im all about the OEM look. other than those, I do like zender and bbs (rc's kick ass).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I saw a review of a Centerline Wheels RPM series 17" rim for a New Jetta in the May 2003 European Car. They also reviewed Tokio shocks and struts. The wheels are 13.51 pounds apiece in the 17" size. They look good on the Jetta, and the weight can't be beat. I'm looking to get a set in gunmetal grey with BF Goodrich Radial T/A KDWs later on this year when I get back from my businees trip to Afghanistan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts