VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. This is my first time to this forum -from I can see so far, it's an awesome resource of information. I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a problem I've been having with my '98 GTI 8v 2.0.

background: The only mods are a P-flo intake and the Neuspeed chip. There is about 98,500 miles on it and I believe the last time I was in the shop I was told a timing belt would need to be replaced soon. This car is on it's 3rd trans. (5 spd.)

Lately the car has been accelerating roughly in the lower RPM's it seems (<3500). At higher speeds, it smooths out.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

mike

·
Registered
573 Posts
Why is it on the 3rd transmission after only 98,000? Any rough accidents or probs with the engine itself in the past?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drive it kinda hard on the hills of SF - each of the trannies have been covered by the VW warranty.

I took my car to the shop and my mechanic tells me that the spark plug wires are defective and it's arcing on the block (?) Causing it to misfire and run rough...more noticeably up until 3500 RPM's. Going back to the shop on Monday to have the new wires put on - he had to order them to get the exchange on the bad wires.

- m

·
Registered
28 Posts
you've gone 98000 miles on a 2.0 timing belt
most go around 60-70 thousand you really should get that replaced. Mine had the same problem and when the timing belt went and the timing was reset it was good as new

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys thanks for the input. Here's what happened:

Actually, my timing belt was replaced at 60,000 miles - I had to have my mechanic check the records. So, I go back to my mechanic for him to replace my spark plug wires and on the way there my clutch starts slipping and I start to smell burning oil - trans. oil. I get my car to struggle into the mechanics lot and he puts it up on the rack. Whining sounds coming from the tranny and we both can't believe that this is the 3rd trans. to go out on this GTI.

Since the VW is still under the 100,000 warranty, I put the stock airbox back on (don't need a reason for VW to not honor the warranty) and have it towed to the VW garage. Remember, I'm close to 99,000 miles.

Turns out the trans. did fail and in the process contaminated the clutch. The warranty covered everything.

Thanks to VW's 100,000 mi. warranty, I'm on my 4th tranny and 2nd clutch and it didn't cost me one dime.

I'm super stoked and I'm going driving on the Great Hwy right now.

Peace out.

mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts