VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all, im fairly new to these volkswagons so im inclined to ask for a little advice,maybe someone has had the same issues as me you never no right ?so hear it is-i own a 1998 volkswagon passat,with the 1.8 turbo aeb engine,with 5 speed tiptronic trannsmition.front wheel drive,my question is is it normal for the RPM gauge to bounce and by bounce i mean it bottoms out at 900 then bounces back to the correct rpm for the speed im going,and this happens when comming to a stop light etc. i would apreciate any input on this,also my door locks act funny and by act funny i mean,when you try to unlock them they lock and the samewhen you try to lock them they unlock. sorry such a long thread,i really would apreciate some help. thank you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not sure if the two problems are related.

RPM , => vacuum leak somewhere? does it happen only when you step on brakes?
door lock,=> bad contact battery terminal or ground posts on chassis?
weak battery? weak alternator? ECU is having a senior moment?
Have battery & alternator outputs checked and terminals secured. Unplug battery for a while , to see if it resets the ECU brain?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you kind sir for your thoughts on my thread,and yep it only happens when i step on the brake and put it in gear to take off from park or when im coming to a stop at a stop light,it seems like when ever you put a load on the engine it feels like it wants to stall for a brief momment then recovers itself, your probably right about a vacume leak, ill check my hoses then repost the results so someone else can gain some knowledge from this so thanx again happy holidays to you and yours and anyone who happens to read this.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts