VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 GTI 2.0, and since about 40K anytime when driving during a heavy downpour, or snow, it cuts out, runs rough, and sometimes trips the check engine light. The light clears itself after a few hundread miles. It does this in the summer as well as the winter. My local dealer suggested about $3500 worth of work, basically replacing every electrical componet in the car. I think its a much simpler problem, like a wire with broken insulation.. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I have had the same problem.But I did not spend 3500.00 dollars to fix it!What I did was replace the dist. cap ,but while replacing it put alittle dielectric grease around the bottom of the cap.Also replace the rotor while you are there.Also if you want pull off all of the spark plugs wires(of course one at a time).And put alittle dielectric grease inside each wire end(both ends of the wires).I hope your problem is now solved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I picked it up from the dealer, check engine light is still on, the codes it has are misfires and evap sys codes. On the repair estimate I FINALLY got out of them, they had listed a wiring repair for the crank case angle sensor... I have no clue where it is, and my haynes manual is pretty much unhelpful.. I am going to try the dist cap and rotor, and I got a good deal on some plug wires, so I am going to change those this weekend. Too bad it's raining today! So, if anyone has a clue as to where the crank case angle sensor is, please let me know!

EDIT: 10FEB2003 The Crank case angle sensor plug fixed my problem. I got the plug for 8 bucks from the dealer with the wiring, and it took about 15 minutes to splice it in.. (I took my time) I did this Friday, and last night on my way home from work, it was raining, and I tailgated everyone I could to see if the water would make the car cut out.. No more! It's fixed!! So, now Greenbrier VW is going to get a certified letter from me, outlining my disgust about that bogus estimate they gave me. I doubt it will matter to them, but it will make me feel better.

[ February 10, 2003: Message edited by: GTI2pointSLOW ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts