VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there use a capacitator with their car stereo systems? I'm about to get a 12" Sony Xplod sub and 800watt Kenwood amp installed in my 97 Jetta GLX, so I was just curious if anyone had any advice. Also, did the car performance suffer as a result of the amps use of the electrical system? The last thing I wanna do is jeopardize my cars power and performance, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had a system in my 95 Jetta with Cap. It was great, not a problem.

Your performance won't suffer, It's good that your adding the Cap, because if you didn't you would get the famous dimming headlights when a bass note hits.

Since your adding the cap, that will help out your electrical system, Not so much strain on the alternator and battery to keep up with the amp pulling so much juice when the sub hits hard. The cap will hold the juice until it's needed and supply the amp with it.

Good luck.
Post pics when system is in the car.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
the only way your car would suffer a performance loss is in the weight of the install... performance is a simple power to weight ratio. the more weight you add the more power you'll need to stay at the same performance level. but 1- 12" sub and an amp wont add enough weight to make any noticable differences.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ah yes, dimming of the lights. Like said before, if you get a good bass drop you will see the lights dim down. My old A2 - I could watch the dash lights dim.

A cap is a good thing. Other then that, your system should be fine because you aren't going with a huge drawing system.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I've been running systems with caps for years. It's actually better for your electrical system since the system can draw power from the capacitor when the amp needs to spike. This way it doesn't draw current away from the rest of your electrical systems which is why your headlights/interior lights don't dim on loud bass hits. Not only is it better for the car but, the sub will hit louder with the cap. I'd recommend it all the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, thanks for all the help yall! I am gonna go with the cap even though it'll hurt my wallet a lil bit....its well worth it though from what u all tell me. Well, gotta go get my beats installed right now...and I'll be bumping withough dimmin'! Thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm back....got the cap installed but I still notice a lot of dimming in the dash lights at night!! It's not like I have that much bass in the car...only 1 12"...do u think that it could be hooked up incorrectly? To those with caps, are you still able to see dash and headlight dimming even with it installed? Lemme know....thanks again yall.

·
Registered
499 Posts
did you charge the cap? I think when I had mine I had to leave it on a low level charger for 12 hours or something. This was back 4 years ago so I can't really remember. Check with the instructions or call the stereo shop.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah, make sure the cap is fully charged. Mine flashed a bit before it was charged but, it's fine now. If you have a digital display, check to make sure the cap reads above 12 volts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
once the cap is connected to a power source, it charges almost instantly, most caps come with a resistor to slow this down so you don't blow it when charging it. The best alternative to a cap is upgrading a couple wires under your hood. Upgrade all your grounds that you can, the ground from the battery, and the power wire that goes from your alternator to your battery. Upgrade them with good quality thicker wire, like 2 or 0 gauge. Makes for a more efficient electrical system. Since you're only running one 12 getting a HO alternator really ain;t worth the bother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts