VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok didnt want to thread jack so starting a new one. When I got the car it had the emissions pipes cut due to a catless exhaust. So I cant backtrace pipes and know what is what. I have this basically dangling by the engine were 2 pipes went.

Now the sensor that goes on this pump is the rectangle one?

and the sensor on the combi valve is oval?

I have a rectangle resistor and sai block off plate. I have an 02 1.8t

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
That is the sai pump. The N249 and n80 are hiding under the intake manifold
Found this in a site selling the resistors.
For a 1.8T:

N80 valve (EVAP purge valve) - oval style

N112 valve (SAI combi valve) - rectangle style

N75, N249, VVT - rectangle style

Not everyone deletes the N75 or vvt. I know I am not.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok but my question still remains. There is a sensor on the sai pump. What do I do with that? Does it use a resistor?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
I think that's where one the rectangle resistors go. In my thread i had it backwards. The combi valve works of the sai pump. There is no plug physically on the combi valve. I found that out last night. I'm trying to find clear pics of everything.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotcha. Thanks! so If I put my rectangle resistor on sai pump sensor and use my block off plate will it get rid of cel?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well would it fix my cel problem if I just put the resistor on sai pump and removed the physical pump?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Most likely. But you will still get the code for improper flow. That needs coded out by a tuner who can change the ecu setting. Can not be done via vag-com. Here is a nice pic. Of all the components.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im throwing p0411 so yea....could I ask for that to be deleted when I get my eurodyne flash sent to me? I know like unitronic has it.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
This explains everything.
There can be a lot of confusion, and this is probably better served in a master FAQ thread, but what the heck... :p

When you do an "emissions delete" you're deleting two main systems, the SAI (secondary air injection) system and the EVAP (evaporative emissions) system. Each of these have a specific valve associated with them when talking about doing the "deletes". The SAI system has a valve clled the N112 valve, or the SAI combi valve, which controls air flow into the cylinder head via the SAI pump. The EVAP system has a valve called the N80 valve which controls fuel vapor flow to the EVAP charcoal canister.

Now, a lot of people will get confused and think they need a connector for every little thing they unplug... this isn't so. Your usual suspects here are the vacuum-related solenoids.. they are tied into the ECU's innerworkings and thus need to be resistored to let your ECU continue to do its magic. However, though, there are things like the N249 or SAI pump itself that do not need to be resistored. Also, it's a good point to make that the SAI pump is entirely different from the combi valve, and that the SAI pump is relay power driven, so there is no need to resistor it. People will usually be looking for a plug to fit the SAI pump connector when what they actually often want is a plug for the combi valve.

SAI and EVAP, or more appropriate, N112 and N80, each require a rectangle-style and oval-style delete resistor plug, respectively. The wiring harnesses I've actually seen have a oval-to-rectangle converter portion, so you could technically go with two oval-style ones (this is what I'll push in the future) but one rectangle/one oval seems to be the current winning combination and until I can make sure oval-style will suffice for both for nearly everyone... I'll push the status quo. :) The N249 is a rectangle-style plug as well. N75, along with the VVT, take a rectangle-style plug.

Also, it is important to note, and people still seem to get caught up by this, that resistoring the circuits you've left open by removing all these solenoid valves does *not* stop CELs from cropping up. You will still get CELs... namely an "Improper Flow" code for the SAI pump/SAI combi valve (N112) no longer existing and thus no longer adding extra air at start-up and an "Incorrect Purge Flow" code for removing the EVAP purge (N80) valve. These need to be coded out in *software*, which means you will have to get a tuner to turn off the CELs/force the readiness for those particular systems, or if you have the prowess/equipment, do it yourself. There is no way around this and while some people report they never had codes or that they went away... I can virtually guarantee you will get codes, and your readiness will be permanently NOT READY for those systems, and that you will not pass emissions unless you live in a state that doesn't give an F or have friends at an inspection station. :p

Anyways... you don't need to resistor anything but the N80/N112 to keep your fuel adaptions working... but some people like the extra insurance of fully sealed connections w/ the ability to replug things back in and they end of plugging off everything they disconnected. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts