VW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a camber problem but it's typical whent on coils last year on november...
I have a -1.2 camber on driver side and -0.6 on passenger side up front...
Any help on achieveing that zero camber...
Searches around already but I'm lost with all this suspension tuning much help.will be appreciated...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
You can't adjust the MK4's camber much at all. There is simply nothing to adjust besides moving the sub frame a bit, even then I don't think it's enough to fix that much of a camber problem. You need to buy some camber plates if you wanna fix your camber.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Replace all the suspension bushings. Sounds like worn out parts or bent control arms. Even twisted arms can cause it. You can get some adjustment out of the bottom ball joint. It's minimal but sometimes it's enough.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah how do camber plates work that's the only much info I found cuz I was lost when I could not find like a camber kit or stuff like that...
Some links would be appreciated this is really a priority cannot wear out my front driverside tire again in minimal time...
Dam wish I knew more about suspension...
But camber plates would give an immediate result right?
I would still freshen up my suspension though like fubar said all those parts he listed I'm pretty sure they have never been replaced...
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I would check bushings and bent control arms before buying camber plates. I'm pretty sure you have to cut your strut towers and weld the camber plates in.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
That's spc is a good product. But I wouldn't drop the money on that until you have replaced all the bushings and stuff first. You would be surprised how much that stuff can affect the geometry.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Germanautoparts.com
Ecs
Would be my first go to online shops. Fill your cart and see who ends up being cheaper.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Money ain't the problem now lack of knowledge is haha alright so I'll look into that why not just get everything and get it installed all at once :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I would have a look at your control arms to see if they're bent. If you're unsure, get some pictures and post them. We may be able to tell.

Replacing these parts are rather easy. Only hard part is the control arm bushings. They're press in bushings. If you don't have a press, I would take the control arms off and take them to a shop to have them press them in for ya. I did that with my spindles when I did my hubs/wheel bearings.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright dude will try and get some pics tomorrow hopefully they arent that bad was thinking of just replacing the bushings to tell you the truth but no problem if i need new ones...

THANKS!!!!

yeah they got them you mean these right?
Volkswagen Jetta IV 1.8T Search SiteSearch Control Arm - 003099ECS01KT - ECS Lower Control Arm Kit - ES#2618888

also how about just this?
Volkswagen Jetta IV 1.8T Search SiteSearch Control Arm - 1J0407181 - Control Arm Bushing Installation Kit - ES#2718006

sorry for all the links guys im ready to buy just need some opinions...

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
negative camber is waht you want , on track. it eats tires if you have too much. positive camber does not do much for you. eats outside of tires. hope this helps.when you have negative camber, as the car rolls into the corner, the tire effectively stays upright. hard to get on strut cars, often have to slot the hat some. the rear of our golf i dont think is adjustable at all. anyhow, positive camber is what old bugs used to have, was not useful at all. the tire woud tuck under the car, and turn you over, because it was swing axle, and that is what they do.

dafuq i just read?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fun facts o_O
I want zero camber though haha

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks bro whent through that thread already I ordered the camber caster kit tho hopefully next weekend they get installed

·
Registered
140 Posts
camber, when your car rolls the body into a corner, that can control how much the tire stays in contact with the road. if you have too much negative camber. the tire wont keep the entire patch on contact with the road.too much positive camber, the tire wont do anything right.when u have alot of body roll, often having positive camber only makes things worse. negative camber up to a point helps. a lot of body roll can make the tire lose optimal contact. the right amount is the key.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts