VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any fun with one of these? kills? been killed? (i know but i had to ask)

I test drove the v-spec on my search for an affordable ride with balls. I really liked the pull on it off the line but its interior seemed really crude. Anyway, I obviously got the dub.

I was just wondering if any of you had a chance to play with one of these out on hilly windy road (for you PA folks) or a nice straightaway out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i dont even think of them as competative at all, i have the road and track magazine that has the review of the gti, the civic sir, the ford focus and the sentra, it scored lowest of all, thats one of the articles that made me trade my firebird for a gti btw. the interior has been the same or about the same for 10 years. the bottom line is, its not impressive to waste such an obviously slow car, save your gas for mustangs and rice.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
What year? I had fun with one of these a couple of weeks ago and killed it big time. It was the v-spec one too with some nice colorful stickers
. Although i do have a chip in my car so if i went back down to my 150hp mode. it might be a little closer.
jon

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jon, we have the power to be unleashed, so dont feel bad if you had a chip and you wopped him. My car does not a chip and i have taken on many type R's But if they dont mod their cars and want to go at it then it is their mistake.
I am going to get my chip soon. i am waiting till i get my 30,000 mile service. I cant wait, i have heard that the car drives very differently after you chip it. Apparently it is insanely fast.
Nav

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The best is if you have a chip that you can change programs on the fly with. Cause alot of times what i might do is go stock for the first run. They might think it was a close race. then while waiting at the next light i switch programs then really whoop on them!! One thing you'll be getting use to is the good old fly-by going 100 after you've gone up to it, then dropped back down to the speed limit

jon

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah i cant wait to get the chip. Jon do you have a 1.8T or VR6
Nav

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI2001:
I have the 1.8t with a APR 93 chip with the stock program.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whats the difference between the 93 and the 91 program?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The main reason they did this was because out west, it's alot harder to get 93 gas. the highest most go if not all stations out there is 91. Power diffrence is about 5hp and 5tq between the two. They also have a 100 program but didn't see if on their website. just got to www.goapr.com for all the info
jon

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: GTI2001 ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
That car doesn't even have an A-Pillar.

I don't like driving a car that could wrap it's windshield around my head during a collision.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I kind of dig the new MazdaSpeed Protege. I think those are pretty smooth. I've only seen one here were I live, and it's always in the parking lot at school. Plus I think a chick drives it. But I've never had the chance to "play" with a Spec-V. The Japanese pocketrocket I've played with was a tuned WRX and it had it's way with me pretty easily
. Oh well, that's what I get for playing with a car that stock, makes 60 more hp and is AWD!

·
Registered
844 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
johnny-is that the protege 6? or a different car?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's not a Protege 6. THere's a new Mazda 6 which replaces the old 626's, but it's different than the Protege.

This is a reg. Protege:

And this is the MAZDASPEED Portege:

And this is what it has:
2.0L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder producing 170hp @ 6,000 rpm and 160 lb-ft torque @ 3,500 rpm.
Turbocharger System Co-Engineered w/Callaway Cars featuring Garrett T25 ball-bearing turbocharger, high-performance factory air-to-air intercooler, and MAZDASPEED logo.

And just for reference, this is the Mazda 6, which in itself is a pretty schnazzy car:

·
Registered
273 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
I like the new 6. I think it looks alot like the Acura TL-S type. At least the front does.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it looks like the new acura TSX but i think mazda designed theirs first, and it looks better too. the tsx is just an overpriced rebadged euro accord, by the way.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
How Mazda got their groove back. Now all they need to do is figure out how to not market the new RX-8 as a damn crossover vehicle with the third door crap.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
the mazda 6 is sweet i think i like it. heard its pritty fast too. and i like the mazdaspeed protoge too. pritty nice. wouldent replace my dub though, even though i have a 2.0

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
yeah mazda's make a nice car. I test drove a protege5 when they first came out. a very smooth transmission. pretty short throw too. I liked the dash too.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Has anyone had any fun with one of these? kills? been killed? (i know but i had to ask)

I test drove the v-spec on my search for an affordable ride with balls. I really liked the pull on it off the line but its interior seemed really crude. Anyway, I obviously got the dub.

I was just wondering if any of you had a chance to play with one of these out on hilly windy road (for you PA folks) or a nice straightaway out in the middle of nowhere.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just raced an SE-R on my way home from York (he was alone and I had my gf as well as some tools in the trunk - I'm not sure if it was a V-spec or not). He kept up until I hit 2nd and then I pulled away at an exponential rate. As you can see from my sig I am entirely stock. It was a kid so I don't know how good of a driver he was - I'm no pro but I'm not too shabby in my dub since I'm used to driving it.

Edit: After looking at the SE-Rs specs I'm not sure how I beat him as easily as I did since his car has similar power and weighs about 400lbs less....

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts