VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he stock speakers are not doing it for me. They are weak and shitty and are starting to crack the sound. What kind of speakers will give me some serious sound?

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnny Mac:
he stock speakers are not doing it for me. They are weak and shitty and are starting to crack the sound. What kind of speakers will give me some serious sound?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have the stock head unit? I've heard time and time again that the head unit is the weaker piece of the system. Do your homework first though.... And welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I have Boston Acoustics Pro's in the front and BA Rallie's in the back. They sound GREAT, the only this is since they are components you need an amp for them, and you get no bass out of them, so you need a sub.

PS - I am selling them! I am also selling my new Alpine V12 amp that I have running them, one of my 12" infinity Kappa's, and my 1 farad monster cap. That's about $1300 worth of stuff, selling it for $700. Interested?

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are gonna definitely gonna need a new head unit if you want serious sound. Go with something that puts out a lot of power like 40x4 clean power right from the head unit. After that upgrading speakers will make a more noticable difference. As with anything start at the source of power and work out. Compare it to an exhaust, just changing the muffler won't do squat for HP but if you start with headers and move back you will notice it more. As for a brand of speakers go listen to some at your local audio shop they'll give you a demo. If your looking for peircing highs I've got mb quarts in my truck and they just flat out scream. But to each his own.

·
Registered
499 Posts
i would suggest a new head unit...the improvement would be more noticable than running new speakers off of the original deck. Most of the shops will give you a deal if you buy the head unit and speakers at the same time. Or wait until they have a good sale on. I bought my speakers when they had a buy one pair get the second at 1/2 price sale. I have JL 5 1/4" speakers in my car. they aren't the greatest for mid-bass but the highs are really good. I have them running off of my HU power, and they still sound alright. Go to a couple shops and listen to what they have, or sit in a couple cars and listen.

G

·
0 Posts
go with infinite speaker for a clear sound and use a kenwood black mast head unit for clear sound also....trust me i know my shit...lol...speaker are around 120 for 6X9
s.....head unit your lookin at 350...good set up

·
Registered
324 Posts
my monsoon system complements my subs really well, worth it in my opinion to get those unless you wanna make it a db machine or something

·
Registered
17 Posts
It probably depends on what you're looking to do.

If you're into bass-boxes and super duper car vibrating stuff, I can't help much, but......

Best Buy was having a sale and... Just this past weekend, I replaced my head unit with a JVC unit - $99.00 and new 4-Way Pioneer 6 1/2 speakers for the doors - $99.00.

The improvement is amazing!! The 4-way speakers make a HUGE difference and I didn't even replace my rear speakers yet!!!

I also bought the 4-year extended warranty ($40.00) and I had to buy some extra stuff for the install, like a wiring harness, window spacer and one other thing - total cost: $35.00.

They have a deal at Best Buy where - if they can't install your radio the day you buy it, the installation is free (save $50.00!!) So, of course, I waited the extra day.. bought everything on Saturday and saw they had a back up of cars in the installation garage... so I had my stuff installed on Sunday and it was free, but they do charge separately for the speaker install ($33.00).

Anyway... hope this helps!!

- Matty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts