VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I return from the West Coast next week I will be faced with the realization that currently more of my car is on the floor of my garage than actually in the car.

I drilled out the 2 shear bolts on the column to get the bracket off to get to the air plenum to get to the heater core to catch the spider that wiggle and giggled ......... you get the idea.

Anyways, when I go assemble the entire inside of my car again -What do I put in place of the shear bolts?

Ideas?

-more shear bolts? -that would require disassembling the rest of the column to spin the nuts on

-regular nuts from the under side? -is that dangerous -as the shear bolts have a function in a head on collision.-right?

-ty wraps? haha -

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, there is a definite reason why they call them shear bolts. Replace the shear bolts. If you are down to the heater core, you already have the hard work behind you. If you are like me, it kind of gives one the willies about how much (or how little) is actually between the driver and the engine. One tip - try to cut a groove in the head of each shear bolt with a Dremel tool to fit a slotted screw driver. It will help during installation, and in the unlikely event you ever need to replace your heater core again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts