VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else who lives in a cold area notice theif shifting is a little rough until the car warms up?

Especially from N to 1st & 1st to 2nd? I don't know, maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Getting the same thing....not extremely rough but enough to be noticable. Clunky almost.

I've got the 6-speed VR6 and I tried to make to switch from 5th to 6th today about five minutes (driving) after warming it up for 15 mins....and I thought it wasn't going to even go in.

Brutal.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
With the wind chill it was -9 today. Pulling out of work shifting into second was almost a complete grind. The Sincros (not spelled right) shrink when it's cold and makes shifting a real treat.

It's normal. The cold shifting that is not the -9 degrees!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
After recently surviving our typical Canadian winter cold snap, I too suffered some cold weather shifting difficulties. As the temperature dipped into -30 degrees celcius, shifting the automatic into neutral during warm-up. I believe this cycles the fluid in the tranny, therefore heating quicker. I works well for me, give it a try...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was up in Stowe, VT which had temps in the neg. 30's. I just let the car idle for 5 minutes in neutral then move through the gears while care is not moving. It works well for me, no grinding. I have the same 6 speed with the VR6

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
DB has answered this post about 90% complete. Just to add the final 10% don't forget about the transmission oil and lubricants are "Goo Like" and sticky when cold. That is also part of the problem.
And again, it is perfectly normal.

In all 2K3 Automatic Toyota's the car won't let you shift into Over Drive until the ECU will determine that the Transmission is warm enough. Which means that when you are on the highway (for example) and you engage OD, it will usually take about 2-4 minutes to engage.

PS: To avoid grinds you can shift to 3rd and before releasing Clutch shift quickly into 2nd, when it is really cold out there, works everytime for me. No grinds.

Also when you are rolling... most Transmissions will try to prevent you from shifting back to 1st. You can do that using same method... shift into 2nd... then quickly into 1st even when rolling... just make sure you are rolling really SLOW otherwise you'll over rev the engine.

I tried to start my car from 4th gear the other day and did it with minimal problems or clutch burn... I was really impressed with VW for developing such a smooth tranny.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
thanks db and tf. my friend asked me the same question this weekend(he drives a 2.0 jetta). now I know, and knowing is half the battle. thanks again guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts