VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I haven't done damage over the years. I remember when i first got my car, I could be rolling to the stop sign with the clutch in, and i couldnt put it into first until i was going like 5-10mph. It wouldnt let me. I caught myself and noticed today I could put it into first rolling at 23mph to a stop. Now I've heard it can cause damage to the syncros by putting it in first before you are almost at a complete stop. Have I caused premature damage to the transmission and syncros? I'm not talking about downshifting, just simply rolling to a stop sign, putting the clutch in, putting it in first, and leaving the clutch in until you come to a stop and take off from the stop sign.

·
Super Moderator
4,066 Posts
Always wondered this when I'm rolling down my driveway and I try to shift out of reverse just to coast down. There always seems to be some resistance so I try not to do it anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
I downshift all of the time, just rev match and you should be fine. As for reverse gears, i do not think they have syncros on our cars, so shifting in and out while in motion is not great on the trans.

·
Super Moderator
4,066 Posts
I downshift all of the time, just rev match and you should be fine. As for reverse gears, i do not think they have syncros on our cars, so shifting in and out while in motion is not great on the trans.

Duely noted. And as for rev matching, my buddy first mentioned it when I got my new car however I still don't know what it is. Could anyone explain this to me please?

Sorry for the thread jack btw haha

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
Some people go overboard and rev the rpms up like 2000rpms more than they have to. It just takes a feel to do it. I do it by ear. I never pay attention to the rpm gauge.

·
Registered
140 Posts
straight drive

if she is a straight drive. all you gotta do is match revs.most cars, 20-30 is tops in first gear.double clutch and match revs right and she will slot right in.automatics i have no idea.i reckon it would , going slow enough.our truck is automatic, but its a diesel and is geared super low.

·
Super Moderator
4,066 Posts
Rev matching isn't a completely necessary thing correct? It just helps take some of the strain off the transmission.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not necessary at all. it does make it easier on the clutch and transmission though.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I never downshift and try very hard not to stick it in first unless im at a dead stop. With my stage 2 clutch it really likes to "pop" into gears. Too much money to go screwing the tranny and clutch up..

When i got my clutch i was also told not to keep it compressed for more than 5 seconds as well.

I also try not to leave the car in gear and only use the e-brake when i can, although i have to reattach the cables to the little "u" bracket every time i use my e-brake ( cables are different lengths so it pops out of place)

Just a few things that I've been told to make my new tranny, clutch, and flywheel last longer.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whats bad about leaving the clutch pressed in? Ive heard that before, never understood why

1 - 12 of 12 Posts