VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Jetta VR6 with a short shift kit and was wondering if that would void the transmission warranty?? I have recently noticed a random grinding sound when shifting into second gear. this grinding seems random and happens not only when accelerating hard but more common when doing so. I was thinking about making a warranty claim but didnt want to do so if the short shift kit would void the warranty. Do i need to take the kit off before making a claim??

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
first off WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

second, the dealer b/c they will most likely say the tranny grind is due to your short shifter. dealer's will go to any length's to deny warranty work so your best bet is to put the stock one back.

i've read stories of people having similar problems as you, in particular one person who had a fmic and intake and was denied warranty work b/c these modifications put "stress" on your tranny.

[ November 23, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The grind i smost likely from the syncros in your tranny not being able to keep up with the faster shifts that usually happen when at higher RPM's. The syncros in MKIV vw's are notoriously slow and there is nothing short of replacing then tranny with something faster that will fix this, even a OEM tranny. VW will likely deny warranty if you replace w/ a OEM tranny through them. If yoiu switc the aftermarket SS with the stock unit you will have a better chance if getting it through. Once of the downsides of VW unfortunately, they hate and avoid warranty work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not sure what brand SS kit it is, it was already on the car when i bought it. how expensive of a fix could this be if i was to have it done without warranty?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chriseric23:
I am not sure what brand SS kit it is, it was already on the car when i bought it. how expensive of a fix could this be if i was to have it done without warranty?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No exact numbers, but tranny work is not cheap. I would see if you can find an OEM shifter and stick it in there while you bring it to the dealer. Also, some dealers are good about it. I just got my MAF replaced for free even though they didn't hav to cause of my intake. Maybe someone from MD can tell you a good dealership to bring it to.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chriseric23:
i found out the SS kit is a Nuespeed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is good news... this means that all you will have to do is replace it with a stock one. Just slap the stock one on when you visit the dealer and play stupid. I doubt if you HAVE to take the SS linkage off but I would. Don't go volunteering reasons for the dealer not to honor your claim.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Some advice from a VW Tech:

Take the shifter off. We had a guy in the shop with a 20th AE GTI complaining of a reverse grind...he had a Neuspeed short shifter on the car...we didn't make him pay a diagnostic fee, but we told him that his short shifter was a problem...

·
Registered
29 Posts
my friend has the diezel geek short shifter on his 01 wolfsburg...when driving his car there is almost always grinding when he shifts into 3rd gear, your prob better off taking it out when you take it to the dealer b.c they will find a screw you

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sexyvwdiva:
my friend has the diezel geek short shifter on his 01 wolfsburg...when driving his car there is almost always grinding when he shifts into 3rd gear, your prob better off taking it out when you take it to the dealer b.c they will find a screw you<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your friend needs to adjust the springs/cables that lead from the linkage to the shifter itself

·
Registered
2 Posts
something I happen to know alittle sumtin about I put the B&M short throw in my GTI
right about the same time my third started doing the same thing your might want them to check your snycros out mine are done and they are fixing it no prob it's a cable shifter not a straight drop in shifter so you never touched the trans so it should be still covered how many miles are on your car ?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Your friend needs to adjust the springs/cables that lead from the linkage to the shifter itself<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I was gonna say.......

If this doesn't fix it, he needs new syncros before he chips some teeth in there and they end up floating around and grenading the rest of the tranny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts