VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can i find a short shifter for a good price and how hard are they to put in. Also what is you opinion on cam shaft cam's and pulley's for the money that would be spent is there a better investment i have a 96 vr6 gti

[ November 12, 2003: Message edited by: mister's vr6 ]

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I heard from an experienced 2.0 owner that for the 2.0 all you have to do is dril the same size hole and move the bushing in the bracket were the linkage clips on a little closer to the pivot point, which is all the $50 part does. that's why the kit for 2.0's is so much cheaper.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I thought about doinig that, but didnt want to weaken it and have it snap on a shift, 60$ is worth it

Shrik cams for the vr
Diselgreek or neuspeed or adb for the Short S

·
Registered
124 Posts
Euro Sport...Its easy. You simply replace and adjust do desired throw. with the euro sport you have 2 options... 30 percent and 50...I went with the 50 percent. Its tight and the instructions are fool proof.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i have an abd short shift bracket. it does cost 50$ but it is strong as hell. i slam it around all the time. install is about 5 min. it shortens the throw significantly up and down but the throw from left to right is not really shortened. but as i said you dont have to reach into the backseat to get into 2nd/4th gear.

·
Registered
606 Posts
and there are 2 options as with the eurosport bracket. 30 and 50. i use the 50 and there are no problems even though it is suggested that you use the 30.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I think some people here are missing the idea that the VR is cable shifted. Neither ABD or Eurosport make short shifters for cable shifted cars. Neuspeed, however, does.

And as far as making a short shifter for a linkage shifter car... it's perfectly safe. The aftermarket ones are just factory ones that have been cut and drilled. I've made several of them, but I cut and weld.

As far as cams go, Schrick cams seem to do the job... although I heard some things a while ago about people breaking them, if there evar was a problem, I'm sure it's fixed now. TT cams list for half as much, and if you have a problem... they're in Oregon... call them up and yell at them.

I can get you Schrick or TT if you decide you need cams.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is it necessarily a good idea/beneficial to get an aggressive cam (aftermarket) without any significant air intake/fuel/combustion supplements? i.e. fuel pump/rail, iridium/platinum plugs/ignition advance?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZuMmKIII:
Is it necessarily a good idea/beneficial to get an aggressive cam (aftermarket) without any significant air intake/fuel/combustion supplements? i.e. fuel pump/rail, iridium/platinum plugs/ignition advance?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Generally a K&N panel filter is enough on the intake. If you want say... a Eurosport intake... thats up to you.

There are a couple options for the intake manifold itself on a VR6 (Schrick at $1500 and stock VW European intake, which is a good part). A european VR throttle body helps too. If you don't have a VR... none of this intake stuff applies.

The stock fuel pump and rail work fine.

There is no advantage to platinum or iridium plugs. Platinums foul way to easy. I run Bosch Supers because they're cheap, most racers run the same thing.

A camshaft itself will show power gains... but when matched to an exhaust, downpipe or header, and a throttle body, the car will really start to take off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts