VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to but a short shifter for my 2002 1.8T and dont know what ones are the best please let me know what you like or know are good
thanks

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'm thinking about just getting the Audi TT shifter. It will reduce the throw by 20% and it only cost like $35. You can get it from you VW Dealer. I read that one of these aftermarket companies where just buying the Audi shifter, painting it and slapping there logo on it and selling it for twice as much.
Jon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i have a 2.0l and i was wondering if the TT shift linkage can be used on my 2.0l. thanks

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Does anyone know if the TT shifter would work on my 2000 gti vr6? I would like a short shifter, but they can be expensive. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The TT shifter part # i have is 8NO-711-051 . This is the TT 180hp Fwd shifter. So i'm thinking that since this is for the Fwd version TT, it might only work with VW 1.8t, and not the 2.0 and VR6. I'm going to my dealer and asking on my way home.
jon

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Ok, i asked my dealer today if the TT shifter would fit onto a VR6 or a 2.0 and he said it should fit. I ordered mine today for only $33. Should be here by Thursday.
jon

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Let me know how it works.... Are you going to do the install yourself or let VW do it? If you do it, post some go bys for us follow the leader guys.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I found out about the TT shifter when someone posted a link in the Swiss Cheese Air Box. This is what the guy said,
"This part came to my attention when a controversy erupted regarding Autotech's new Short Shifter for the MkIV Golf/GTI/Jettas. It turns out that Autotech was selling a stock, OEM Audi part with their logo, and a nice powdercoated finish for $49. The part is the stock shifter linkage on the 180hp, FWD Audi TT. Dealers usually have it for about $33-35, albeit without the nice finish.

When installed in the MkIV VW, it results in a 20% reduction in front to back throws. (About 1.5" reduction from 5.5" to 4" total throw according to my unscientific measurements)

The part number for any one who is interested is: 8N0-711-051 - My local Audi dealer had it ordered for me in about a week, for $35. (there has been talk that the part is on national backorder in Canada, but judging from my experience, it hasn't affected the US)"
Here's the link about how he installed it.
TT Shifter
jon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
so jon, when u went up to vw, you just said, id like to order a part and then gave them the part #? ive never orderd anythign from my dealer so i dont know how it works. also i would go there right now but im debating because i have a 2.0. but on the autotech site, they sell their shifters for vr6's and 2.0's. so would they still be selling the same one? ALso if i go any buy it, and it dosent fit, would anyone here wih a 1.8 be interested in buying it off me?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Yep, just gave them a part # and told me they could have it within two days.
jon

·
Registered
112 Posts
how much time would a novice expect to spend installing this part?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
by the looks of it, it looks pritty strait forward and easy. im goin to vw on mon. and ordering mine. and doing it myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey i have the audi tt shifter lever on my 2.0 golf....it works good....it reduces the throw.... but the thing is, what can i do about the notchy shifthing....,i grind my gears cause i'm shifting too fast and not going into gear quick enough....there's like a slpit second extra i have to hold the clutch down so i can put the car in gear....

...does anybody have any ideas, answers.......

[ December 24, 2002: Message edited by: pkgolf400 ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts