VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the several modifications that I want to do, but unfortunately do not have the money to afford, is a short shifter. I was wondering if it works well to just hack off a couple inches. If anyone has done this please let me know. Eventually I hope to get a Neuspeed or Dieselgeek short shifter, but for now this is a good quick fix assuming it works.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Another thing you can do is put a TT shift linkage on. I think it cost $34 from the dealer. It's suppose to reduce the throw 20% or so. give or take a bit. then combine this with a cut shift stick and you should be good to go. I know dubwink (rich) did this and i know db cut his down but not sure if he got the TT linkage.
jon

·
Registered
175 Posts
TT linkage wont shorten throw but makes the gear engage sooner, but not a bad price compared to the 150 B&M short shift kit.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!

Now if I were to actually buy an actual Short Shifter what brand would you guys recomend?

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
I was in the same boat...I didn't want to spend any money at the time getting a short throw so I cut the stock down with my dremmel about 1". It physically did not help any but made the shifter appear shorter. Oh I adding a Sparco shift knob as well.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V33dub_GTI:
db the inside of your car is too clean....do you ever drive it?!?!?!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those pics were taking 6 months after I owned it. I need to take some updated inside pics...to answer your queston. DAILY! I put about 55 miles on the GTI each day nearly 20K on it. I just like to keep my cars clean like my women!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
man DB, that is stelaryly clean. and personally, i dont think that cutting down a MK4 shiter is nice. they are short enough for me. but thats my opinion. but now, with a MK2 or 1, they could use like an inch or so gone! i was going to, but then my hand would hit my seats. is there a way to lower the seat rails at all? i have my seat all the way down, but it only lowers the back, which is comfortable, but i want the front lower! can i do that?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Heh, at first I was like "how does his hand hit the seat????" Then I found this picture...

Now I understand how your hand can hit the seat!

As for lowering it, you got me. Not too familiar with the ol'MkII's.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Those pics were taking 6 months after I owned it. I need to take some updated inside pics...to answer your queston. DAILY! I put about 55 miles on the GTI each day nearly 20K on it. I just like to keep my cars clean like my women!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, he does keep his car clean. it was in the middle of winter and there wasn't a spot of dirt on the inside of his car, except that stupid sticker inside of his vent! Hey db, i've pulled about 5 of those out so far.
jon

·
Registered
433 Posts
rich is a liar his car looks more like this

j/k man we all know you are anal about your car

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yeah his car is clean, but ask travrsx or k2jetta98 how clean i keep my car. all my buddies always bitch at me for it. but i love a clean car!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts