VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just got a quick question for you suspension gu-ru's. Ok, my car has a whoopin 6K miles on it and I'm more than likely getting a set of H&R Sport Springs for the 'rents for christmas. Since my car is still new, do I need to get struts too??? I don't really see why I should with them still being good and new and all, and it's not like it's a major drop either (only 1.5 in fron and 1.4 in back I think). What do you guys think???

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I mean, I'll replace mine eventually, but there's no point in spending another $400 on struts when I have a perfectly good set sittin on it right now.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I'm no guru, but I heard that when getting sport springs, you should get new sport shocks/struts too. My car had 50k+ miles on it when I got mine put on. I wouldn't see it being a problem to keep your stock struts on til you save up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
gettin mine some time soon. keepin my stock stuff till some money rolls around. shoudl be fine.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
One thing you want to think about is, if you are going to get your suspension put on at a shop, and decide to save up for the rest later, you are going to pay double for install. It is the same process to put on the springs as it is to put on your struts/shocks. I called around my area, and I found the install price to be around $200. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eh, no shop for me. I've installed springs on a 240sx and whiteboy 2.0's MkIII Jetta, so it's no biggie putting the stuff on myself (not saying it's going to be easy by any means). But thanks for thinkin about it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
if you get stiffer springs your stock dampers wont be able to dampen the oscilation of the spring so youll have a bouncy ride, similar to the ride you would have if you had worn out shocks, im sure youve seen some crappy rice burner or low rider going across an intersection in your town and its bouncing up and down, thats because they cut theyre springs or got stiffer lowering springs and didnt replace the damper(shocks) and as mentioned before, if you dont replace both at the same time your looking at doubleing your labor, or having to pay someone twice for your suspension install. while lowering your car and putting in stiffer springs will help the handling of the car, you wont enjoy the ride as much or even get to enjoy the full potential of your performace springs without the proper damper. thats what suspension tuning is all about, the parts have to be designed to work together to get the best result. its all up to you, you can just lower the car, looks cool, handles a little better...or you can save some more money, lower the car look cool, has better handling AND have better than stock ride quality.

good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts