VW Forum banner

Sloppy shifter on automatic, please help!

8K views 53 replies 10 participants last post by  Shameless 
#1 ·
The shifter on my automatic is very sloppy, it has about half an inch of give up and down. It is so annoying. I have tried searching and all I find is stuff like... How to make your automatic look like a manual, how to take off shifter, I cannot figure out what to do to fix this problem. Do I have to take apart the center console or what?

Thanks in advance, James

#10 · (Edited)
Mine is fine mostly. Does some odd things once in a while... But whatever, you expect it.

Like sometimes when i let off the gas it will disengage the gear (nutreal) but if you put it into nutreal gear then back into gear it keeps engaged.
Small shit like that, even that is pretty rare. Maybe twice a month or so.

My only complaint is the fucking thing take 8 second to go from one gear to the other. You barely notice it driving regularly, but as soon as you race anyone with a manual anything it's like... Fuck... This.

It's just the way to go if you're ever going to give a damn about your transmission.

#14 ·
You want to tighten up your shifts on an automatic transmission...what the fuck do you want us to tell you? Get a short shifter for it? Maybe we gave you a stupid answer because it was a stupid fucking question.

#24 ·
Cody can be a dick, but he brings life to the forum. Also, he did a Auto-manual swap, so he wasn't just talking shit. Were just giving you a hard time, nothing personal. If you stick around you will find a lot of useful information. If your done dumpin money into the Beemer, might as well dump money into the dub now :p

#38 ·
M3 headlights look nice on a M3, because they belong on them. On the other hand, they look weak as fuck on a VW. Also "blacking out" headlights, if not the dumbest thing you can do to your car, it is amongst the dumbest things you can do. Might as well not have headlights at all and rock running lights. Last but not least, black "RIMS" are played the fuck out, and can only be pulled off on a black car IMO. There's my 2 cents of the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.