VW Forum banner

slow cranking only when hot

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  05GTI1.8T 
#1 ·
so i thought i remedied the issue that when my car would sit for 10 mins or so and id go to restart it the starter would crank over slow like the battery was dead. the battery is just under 2 years old, i replaced the starter. checked the grounds. if the car sits for awhile it will crank normal and it cranks normal in the morning. it is only after the car has been running and hot. im going to try and go tomorrow and do a load test on my battery. i may just put a new one in for peace of mind on the 650 mile journey to sowo. i was wondering if anyone else had this issue and what they did to correct it

#3 ·
it is. because the battery isnt even 2 years old and the starter was original i put a starter in it. i just figured it was a sign the starter was slowly on its way out. but it rele weird. its like if the car sits for 15 mins it will do it. but if it sits for an hour or more its fine.

#4 ·
it looks like i got it figured out. i didnt suspect my battery because it was under 2 years old and the car would crank fine when the motor was cold which is why i thought it was something engine related. I went to the local auto parts store and had them test the battery and my battery failed the test so i warrantied it and so far everything appears ok, i have only started the car up a couple times but it does sound better cranking even when cold. im about to begin the 12 hour journey to sowo as i finish typing this so im hoping and praying to the vw car gods nothing happens to me out on the road. but i wanted to post what looks like the solution to my issue incase someone else is searching for the same problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.