VW Forum banner

Smog Pump Delete Kills Cat?

8K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tom5191 
#1 ·
Hey VW Fourm:

I am considering deleting my Smog pump (Secondary Air Injector). What I want to know is, if I do so, will it kill my Catalytic converter?

What is the purpose of the pump? When does it come on? Is it needed?

Thank you!

#2 ·
It's needed to pass emissions. If you don't need emissions where you live then it's not needed. I've never heard of the SAI killing the cat if you delete it. If you have the 1.8t there is a block of plate made for the delete, but you will still have a check engine light unless you get your ECU tuned to delete the SAI. United Motorsports and Unitronic both will delete it with your chip, but it's still like $500 to do so. The money is totally worth it. Makes your car feel so much better.

The pump usually comes on when you first start up, and when your car is running lean so the o2 sensors don't read that you're running bad and to help with the emissions. That's pretty much it. The delete gives you more room in the engine bay, cleaner looking and sheds about 5lbs from the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.